how many calories are burned..

kate205gti
kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
pushing a car half a mile - doh!! run out of petrol :blushing: but im counting that as exercise!!
think i need a heart rate monitor, what do ppl on here use? are there ones you can strap on in the morning and they just log your callories burned all day and then you read them in the evening? are they comfortable to wear all day?? where do you get them from? sorry for the noob questions!

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Bump for later because i'd like to know how accurate and comfortable they are.
    AND
    If any experts answer I'd like to ask how they work. I have a naturally high heart rate but not the metabolism that might be expected to go with it...would it be accurate for someone like me
  • fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    I have a Polar HRM and I love it. Have had it for about 3 or 4 years now.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    I have a Polar F7 that straps underneath your bra. The battery died (after two years) and it took me a few weeks to get the money together to get it replaced, and i missed it badly. :sad: I could tell a decrease in my effort in my exercise too.

For me, it's so comfortable that sometimes I forget I'm wearing it and forget to take it off. I only wear it for planned exercise activities. For me, definitely worth the investment.
  • I have also used the Polar brand and thought it was great, very comfortable and easy to use. Seemed to be accurate as well.
  • I have a Polar FT40 HRM and its BRILLIANT!!! I highly reccomend getting one, plus I have the motivation to exercise 3 times more than i did before i purchased it xxx
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    I have just ordered a polar. I can't wait for it to come! I think it will def give me more of an incentive to exercise and I am always wary of general calorie burned amounts x
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    pushing a car half a mile - doh!! run out of petrol :blushing: but im counting that as exercise!!
    think i need a heart rate monitor, what do ppl on here use? are there ones you can strap on in the morning and they just log your callories burned all day and then you read them in the evening? are they comfortable to wear all day?? where do you get them from? sorry for the noob questions!

Heart rate monitors will not be accurate if you do that as they were designed specifically for workouts and runs. They fall short when it comes to wearing them all day to record the amount of calories you naturally burn in the day.

Entirely up to you, but if you did record it all and it gave you a certain figure and then you ate to that figure expecting to lose weight, you could be bitterly disappointed.
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    i thought we all naturally burned a set amount doing general day-to-day stuff, ie: ive set my lifestyle as "sedentary" as i sit at a desk all day, so I expect i use 1700 calories during a day with no exercise - so if i set myself an aim to burn 2000 a day (by walking up the stairs more, going for a walk at lunch, etc..) then it would help me keep track of it? not so I can eat them back just so im consciously a bit more active!

its more to check what im actaully burning at the gym tbh, as im sure theyre calories burned are very ambitious! 200 cals for a 30min walk on the treadmill? sounds a bit high to me? :s
This discussion has been closed.