how to respond to "Have you lost weight??"

Options
But you really haven't. Well I have lost some weight (20 + lbs) but not since they last saw me.

Honestly you couldn't even really tell I lost weight until I started lifting and working out.

I HAVE really toned and gone down in clothes sizes and you can tell I am much more trim. But the scales haven't moved much in about 2 months.

Do I politely say "Yes, thanks for noticing" Or try to explain why I look different has very little to do with the scales? Generally I am not interested in having a discussion about my fitness or my weight.
A couple people have been bold enough to ask how much I have lost....well not wanting to lie, it turns into a long answer. I do say "about 22 lbs altogether, but things really started coming together for me when I started working out".

So I am curious, what do you say when seeing someone after a long absence and they ask...Have you lost weight?"

Replies

• osorio0203
    osorio0203 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I smile and blush and say yes....thank you for noticing. Then I politely change the subject. lol
  • jirwin323
    jirwin323 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I say "thank you, yes I have" when they ask if I've lost weight. When they ask me when am I going to stop, I tell them " I need to get my body in the best shape so I'm not embarrassed at the nudist colony". That usual stumps them and we move on to talk about other things.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I typically say, "Thank you, I have been working really hard at it"
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    I get a bit self concious and play it down.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I typically say, "Thank you, I have been working really hard at it"

This is basically what I say too, thank you for noticing, I've been working hard.

The other day my boss called me in and said "I'm going to have to cut your paycheck by 50%" before I can say anything he said "you're only half the person I hired now, so you should only get half the pay". LOL He went on to say that my hard work was paying off and I looked great. I asked for a raise or a bonus to buy new clothes...then he laughed. :noway:

ETA: gammar is the devil.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In your case you could do your small part to break the stereotype that the scale matters. Tell them "no, haven't lost an ounce but I've gone down two dress sizes by really focusing on my fitness."