eggplant recipes needed....

Options
jlshea
jlshea Posts: 494 Member
In an attempt to brand out into some new veggies, I picked up an eggplant at the store last night. I've never really cooked with eggplant before. I know I do not want to use it as an eggplant parm dish but more as a side dish and need some guidance on a good way to use it.

Thanks!

Replies

• iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm a simple gal. Since it's summer, I grill all my veggies. Eggplant is nice on the bbq. Brush with oil, pepper and salt.
  • jd1208
    jd1208 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If eggplant is the same as an aubergine (which I think it is), then veggie lasagne is a good one to do. Instead of mince meat I use layers of sliced aubergine, courgette, mushrooms and bits and bobs like that, topped with tomato sauce, lasagne sheets and cheese sauce.

Later this week I am also making a veggie coconut curry. I am not a veggie myself, and sometimes just substitute meat for veggies like aubergine.
  • jd1208
    jd1208 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If eggplant is the same as an aubergine (which I think it is), then veggie lasagne is a good one to do. Instead of mince meat I use layers of sliced aubergine, courgette, mushrooms and bits and bobs like that, topped with tomato sauce, lasagne sheets and cheese sauce.

Later this week I am also making a veggie coconut curry. I am not a veggie myself, and sometimes just substitute some of the meat for veggies like aubergine.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Peel it, slice it, and soak it in some salt water for an hour or so. This will draw out some of the bitter juices, and leave the meat a little tougher, so that it doesn't get slimy.
    - You can try roasting it with garlic and mixing it with tahini for a baba ganoush dip.
    - Grilled is excellent with a little garlic, oil, salt, and pepper.
    - Layer it with sauce and cheese for a lasagna minus the noodles, then serve it as a side.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Cut into cubes, toss with olive oil and your favorite spices (I like garlic powder, turmeric, black pepper, and red pepper flakes), and then bake in the oven at 425 for 30 to 40 minutes until caramelized. Turn every 10 minutes. You can do this with just about any vegetable broccoli, cauliflower, squash, zucchini. potatoes, carrots, asparagus, etc...
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Seafood Stuffed Eggplant (from Cooking Light)

91jacg.jpg

Ingredients
    3 medium eggplants, each cut in half lengthwise (about 3 pounds)
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped 33%-less-sodium ham
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
    2 1/2 ounces day-old French bread or other firm white bread
    6 tablespoons (1 1/2-ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
    1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 425°. Score cut side of each eggplant half in a crisscross pattern; lightly coat cut sides of eggplant halves with cooking spray. Place eggplant halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Turn eggplant halves over; bake an additional 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes. Remove pulp from eggplant, leaving a (1/4-inch-thick) shell. Place eggplant shells on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Chop pulp; set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham, 1/2 cup onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add reserved eggplant pulp and chicken broth; cook 10 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Stir in shrimp; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Place bread in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs form. Add breadcrumbs, 3 tablespoons cheese, green onions, basil, tarragon, rind, salt, and black pepper to eggplant mixture; stir gently to combine. Mound about 1/2 cup shrimp mixture into each eggplant shell. Sprinkle each with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated and shrimp are done.

Nutritional Information:
    Amount per serving (recipe makes 6 servings; 1 serving is 1 stuffed eggplant half)
    Calories: 203
    Calories from fat: 27%
    Fat: 6.2g
    Saturated fat: 2g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
    Protein: 15.5g
    Carbohydrate: 23.3g
    Fiber: 0.8g
    Cholesterol: 68mg
    Iron: 2mg
    Sodium: 444mg
    Calcium: 142mg

Hope this is helpful! :)
  • AdAstra34
    AdAstra34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy food, here's a recipe you can try. I'm Chinese, and it's authentic and delicious!
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/sichuan_eggplant/

Enjoy!
  • vglikman
    vglikman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I make lasagna using eggplant slices instead of noodles. I make a meat sauce using ground turkey instead of beef and I use fat free cottage cheese instead of ricotta. it's delicious.
  • michproca
    michproca Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Roasted with other veggies is a great way to use it. Barefoot Contessa has a great baba ganoush style dip. It is called "roasted eggplant spread" and you can find it on food network's website.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    We made this recipe recently as an entrée and it wasn't enough calories (318 for half the pan, the way we made it with half the olive oil and just 3/4 of the cheese suggested).

But it was DELICIOUS...and it would make an awesome side, perhaps 4 servings as a side instead of just splitting the pan like we did for a meal. I don't eat Paleo/low carb but this would fit, there are no noodles.

http://eating-mindfully.com/spinach-and-eggplant-casserole
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jlf411
    jlf411 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use it to make eggplant marinara, which you can put on anything you'd use spaghetti sauce for!
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I like the baked eggplant sticks from Skinnytaste:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/baked-eggplant-sticks.html

I do soak the cut eggplant in salt water before making it, it does reduce the bitterness. You can do sticks or round slices with this recipe. If you do the slices, you can make eggplant parmesan with them.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Here is a great recipe I recently made for the first time:
    http://themerrymakersisters.com/paleo-lasagne-eat-drink-paleo-irey-macri

It is a lasagna with eggplant, parsnips, and zucchini. No noodles. :flowerforyou:
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options

I do soak the cut eggplant in salt water before making it, it does reduce the bitterness. You can do sticks or round slices with this recipe. If you do the slices, you can make eggplant parmesan with them.

That seems simple enough :) I might try those.

My initial response to OP was going to be be to grill them. I've had good experiences with both grilled and roasted eggplant.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

That seems simple enough :) I might try those.

I initial response to OP was going to be be to grill them. I've had good experiences with both grilled and roasted eggplant.

In my personal experience Skinny Taste recipes are consistently delicious.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have some eggplant from my garden last year that has been frozen. Can it be thawed and roasted, or will the texture be off?
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a side dish/salad, this is amazing:

Roasted eggplant salad

1 eggplant
    1 garlic cloves, smashed
    1 tomato, seeds discarded and diced
    1 small onion chopped
    Any other chopped veggies like cucumber or peppers
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 tbsp lemon juice or 1 tbsp vinegar
    Salt
    Pepper

Before putting in the oven, make holes on the eggplant with a fork so that it will soften and cook better. Then place on an oven tray and roast for about 35 minutes on broil. Alternatively, you can barbecue it until softened. Then peel it, remove any hard seeds and cut into small pieces with a knife. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix with a spoon. Place in service plate and keep refrigerated.
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A little effort but great flavor and works well for leftovers.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cheesy-vegetable-moussaka-50400000133663/
  • AndreaEllen
    AndreaEllen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Perfect! I just bought a bunch of eggplant!