MapMyWalk App... tried it?

Options
Just wondering if any of you have used it. If not, do you have an app for calorie burns that you like?

Replies

• LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've used it a few times recently and I like it. I used it the first time in a walk I already knew the distance of and found it to be accurate. I found the calorie burn to be about the same that MFP was giving me, maybe slightly less. I recently realized I can choose for it to "auto pause" so that anytime I stop to tie my shoe or look at a bird or whatever, I don't have to whip out my phone and pause it and start it, it just does it for me. So i just leave my phone in my pocket and go about my walk and when I'm done I get my miles & calories. I really like it.

The only negative is that it isn't going to differentiate going up & down hill. So i know if part of that walk is uphill & I'm working harder, I'm burning a few more calories than what the app is saying. But I can deal with that.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I use it and like it. Of course, you have to be careful because the calories burned tend to be on the high side. I don't worry about it because I don't eat back all of my exercise calories, anyway.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I like it and use it every day BUT I reset my calories burned manually (in my case to 1 - I prefer to use the TDEE method of setting calories rather than "eating back").

I love that I can quickly see how many minutes I've walked (which is what I actually track) and what the distance is. It's also handy if I only have 35 mins for a walk, I can quickly scroll through my walks to find a route that's 35 mins without guessing.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    I use it all of the time. But I live in a rural area, so the GPS sometimes doesn't work properly. Not that it is the apps. error but I also use a pedometer just in case. When everything works well, I love it!
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i downloaded it but i don't think i'll use it. i love endomondo too much to stop using it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The only negative is that it isn't going to differentiate going up & down hill. So i know if part of that walk is uphill & I'm working harder, I'm burning a few more calories than what the app is saying. But I can deal with that.
    Are you sure? It shows me Pace vs. Elevation, so it knows about uphill and downhill. Do you know that it doesn't take that info into account while calculating calories?
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Are you sure? It shows me Pace vs. Elevation, so it knows about uphill and downhill. Do you know that it doesn't take that info into account while calculating calories?
    Mine shows elevation as well, but I picked up the "paid" version when it was on sale for $0.99 one day, so that may have something to do with it.

ETA: I think it overestimates calorie burns as well.
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I use it because I wanted to know how long my run route was and I wanted to track my pace progress. I don't use it to track calorie burns.
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have tried map my run which overstated mileage, runtastic which comes up short sometimes and calorie burn was high. I really like runkeeper when I run the same route the distance is always the same. It has an auto pause feature also.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've used it a few times recently and I like it. I used it the first time in a walk I already knew the distance of and found it to be accurate. I found the calorie burn to be about the same that MFP was giving me, maybe slightly less. I recently realized I can choose for it to "auto pause" so that anytime I stop to tie my shoe or look at a bird or whatever, I don't have to whip out my phone and pause it and start it, it just does it for me. So i just leave my phone in my pocket and go about my walk and when I'm done I get my miles & calories. I really like it.

If you are doing a loop, shouldn't the ease of going downhill counteract the difficulty of going uphill since you arrive at the same elevation?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I like it for tracking distance/route but feel the calories burned # is too high.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

If you are doing a loop, shouldn't the ease of going downhill counteract the difficulty of going uphill since you arrive at the same elevation?
    Only if walking uphill is exactly as much harder as walking downhill is easier in the first place. I'm not sure it is. Further, if your path is a gently sloping 3 miles down then a much steeper 1 mile to get back home, I doubt it would even out.

Even so, given the likely inaccuracy in its burn calculations, it's probably not a big deal one way or the other.