Protein supplements

Options
KatieLK14
KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
I'm looking for some opinions on protein supplements/powders. I feel that I do not get enough protein, as I rarely eat meat and some of my only high protein sources are eggs and cottage cheese. I've had friends take whey protein but I'm wondering if anyone here has tried anything else- benefits, drawbacks of the product they use?

Replies

• AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've been taking the ISOPURE. It doesnt have as much protein per serving as say Whey, however the calorie count is low.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I buy whey online (Myprotein, Bulk Powders or The Protein Works) - I'm in the UK but I'm sure there are equivalents if you are elsewhere.

Gram for gram whey is one of the cheapest protein sources, and as long as you choose a high percentage isolate then it'll be low carb and low fat too so it's very useful for getting macros in line if you're low on protein.

There are loads of flavours out there, and which you like will come down to personal preference. Many places offer trial packs so you can sample a range of flavours and see which you like best before committing to a bulk order.
  • nikkib514
    nikkib514 Posts: 2
    Options
    I use Raw Protein by Garden of Life. It's gluten and dairy free. I add it to my morning smoothie and I'm kept pretty satisfied until time for mid-morning snack. Two scoops is a serving but I use just one and add Greek yogurt to the smoothie.
  • Chazerc
    Chazerc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to go is through protein powder. Just throw a scoop in some milk/water/juice and shake it. Egg whites are a phenomenal source of protein too for the record.

Personally, I use Whey Isolate powder as it technically allows for better absorption of the protein into your system. Be ready to try and trash some of the powders though, as they can "clog up your system" if you know what I mean. The cheap protein powders are typically just that, cheap. The Isolate formulas are usually lower calorie, higher protein, and just as delicious. At the expense of about $3 more per container.