Newly Pregnant and learning about my nutrition needs

Options
Hi Everyone

I've recently found out I'm pregnant - 6 weeks gone! I am starting out as obese (240lbs, 5ft 6) and whilst this is obviously far from ideal I'm determined to have the healthiest pregnancy possible!

There is so much confusing information out there for obese mummy's to be, from gaining only a small amount, to maintaining pregnancy weight, to even losing! My doctor was not very helpful so I went to see a nutritionalist. Not much better - the plan she suggested, whilst full of great foods, averaged 1200 calories a day (my maintenance calories are over 2000!). So for now I've decided to not worry too much about calories and focus on quality of food - cut out processed and sugary foods, eat lots of wholegrains and good fats, and of course lots of veggies.

Next thing on my list to worry about it exercise. I currently don't do any so I'm thinking of starting with some light walking.

Hoping to meet some other pregnant ladies on here to share ideas with - but all and any advice is welcome!

Replies

• JenniferOBX5
    JenniferOBX5 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not pregnant now, I have a 2 year old.

I started out my pregnancy at 238 lbs. I had an OB/GYN and midwife that actually wanted me to gain 25 lbs. I ended up gaining 18 lbs and was 227 lbs, when I first stepped on the scale 2 weeks post partum. I got an extra ultrasound at one point because I had my gained enough at my 36 week appointment. My little girl was 7 lbs at birth and healthy. Never had any issues with her growth.

I do wish I would have ate more healthy during pregnancy. I almost failed my glucose test because I was eating jelly beans and twisslers all the time. I also wish I would have walked 30 minutes a day. Both would have probably made delivery and the first year much easier on me.

I know some OB/GYNs want obese women to gain, others maintain, others lose weight. I am not sure which is the best answer but this was my experience.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Pregnant with #3 here, 22 weeks.

It's best to maintain if possible, but my doc said ok to gain, just not as much as if I started at my ideal weight. So, I'm shooting for no more than 20# above my starting point.

it sounds like you're being smart about eating realistically and making good choices. Remember to take your vitamins and drink lots of water! Walking every day won't be something you regret.

Good luck, and wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy!
  • br0906
    br0906 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am 8 weeks pregnant with #2. I had just reached my goal weight when I found out about this suprise so I switched to maintanance, but have decided that if it is something that I really want and isn't too terrible for me, I am going to eat it! I haven't had an appointment with the OB yet, but my goal is to only gain what I have to in order for baby and me to be healty.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think your plan sounds great!!! focus on quality for now and incorporate exercise, sounds perfect. I have a textbook that covers pregnancy and weight gain etc... I will look into for you when I get the chance!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    If you're going to incorporate exercise, start now. It's usually not suggested that you begin exercising when you're pregnant since your body is already experiencing a ton of changes. The rule of thumb I've always read/heard/been told is to keep up the level of activity you had before getting pregnant to the best of your ability, but don't try to add anything new to it.

ETA: Adding a daily walk is a good idea, but I (personally) wouldn't try to add much else if you haven't been working out previously.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    0761133267.jpg?altimages=true&width=310&quality=85&maxheight=310&sale=28&lang=en&z=116174269

I recommend this book. It's written by the same ob-gyn team who wrote "What to Expect when you're expecting". Lots of really solid, easy to understand nutrition information in this book. I found it really helpful.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You sound like you have a good plan, but if you want to eat processed foods, there's no need to feel guilty about it. You WILL have cravings, and it's okay to indulge! First of all, take a prenatal vitamin if you aren't yet, and make sure to get plenty of protein and fats for the growing baby.

I agree with the above saying to start exercise now. Your ligaments and joints are going to be loose now to accommodate the baby, so don't do anything too high impact. You should be able to continue doing what you have already done, but don't jump into a step aerobic class at 6 months pregnant if you've never done it before, okay? :wink:

Congrats!
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Your plan to eat healthy sounds perfect! Adding walking into your daily activity is definitely a great idea. While you are eating for 2 now, I was always told (I've had 5 kids) that your body really only needs 400 more calories per day to support the new life you now carry. 400 calories is not a whole lot, so just make sure what you are putting in your body is a well-balanced diet and everything should turn out just fine. Congratulations to you!!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Congrats. My midwife said to try to maintain for the first trimester but some gain is okay and normal. Here's a calculator and an article on weight during pregnancy:

http://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy-weight-gain-estimator

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

Most weight gain during pregnancy is not fat gain.

Where Does the Extra Weight Go During Pregnancy?
    Baby: 8 pounds
    Placenta: 2-3 pounds
    Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
    Breast tissue: 2-3 pounds
    Blood supply: 4 pounds
    Stored fat for delivery and breastfeeding: 5-9 pounds
    Larger uterus: 2-5 pounds
    Total: 25-35 pounds
  • michaeljacksonfan333
    michaeljacksonfan333 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionist recommended a plan that average 1200 calories a day?! That seems like way too little for a pregnant woman!!
  • tiona83
    tiona83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I walked A LOT and I really do think it helped with the pregnancy and delivery. I did add more walking why I was pregnant but not a lot more. Breast-feeding was the best quick weight loss miracle I ever experienced. I was around 180 to 190 when I got pregnant and could fit into my jeans in less than a week after having my first. I did not experience any milk depletion why loosing weight and feeding but I also did not deprive myself of to many calories.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Being obese and pregnant puts you at a greater risk of complications. So it would be in your best interest and the baby's best interest to maintain your current weight or lose weight. I know plenty of obese women who have lost weight while being pregnant. Since your nutritionist recommended a 1200 calorie plan, it would appear as though she is pushing for you to lose weight.

Try to avoid processed foods as much as possible. Stick to whole foods primarily. Eating processed foods on a 1200 calorie diet won't come out to very much food. However, eating whole foods which are typically lower calorie, greater nutrient content, and more fiber, will allow you to consume larger quantities.

Definitely start exercising now. Since you don't do any kind of exercise already, start light.
  • kate1103
    kate1103 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being preggo!! I'm definitely no expert on pregnancy (I'm a little over 38 weeks with my first), but my experience with weight gain was not what's recommended at all! I gained almost 15 pounds the first trimester, about 25 more the second trimester, and I've gained about 5 in the third trimester. I was concerned about my weight already when I was about 10 weeks pregnant, and I asked my OB about it a couple of times, and she just kept saying, "don't worry about it, let us worry about it, just eat what you can (I guess nausea makes a lot of women lose in the first trimester, but I found that eating was one of the few things that helped my nausea so I was gaining weight but not enjoying my food at all)." Then all of a sudden at about 28 weeks, I must have gone over some magical number limit and she was like, "what's up with your weight?" I actually ended up changing care providers and now see a midwife (we moved, but I was happy to switch!). Now I focus on getting enough Vitamin A, Vitamin C, salt, and especially protein, and don't worry so much about the weight. I wish I would have worried more about nutrients and less about weight gain the first two trimesters, but I'm much happier now! I didn't stay in the 25-35 pound recommended gain, but I feel that I did the right thing for me and my baby, and I hope you can find the right calorie range/weight gain amount for you!
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Pregnant with #3 here, 22 weeks.

It's best to maintain if possible, but my doc said ok to gain, just not as much as if I started at my ideal weight. So, I'm shooting for no more than 20# above my starting point.

Congratulations! I think 20 is probably a good number - I will probably try for something similar
  • Jo2926
    Options
    Congrats! I am 8 weeks pregnant with #2. I had just reached my goal weight when I found out about this suprise so I switched to maintanance, but have decided that if it is something that I really want and isn't too terrible for me, I am going to eat it! I haven't had an appointment with the OB yet, but my goal is to only gain what I have to in order for baby and me to be healty.

Congrats to you too! I think you are right that if you want it and its not too bad go for it. I did something similar tonight, I REALLY wanted a pudding so I made homemade banana custard. And it turned out reasonably healthy except the sugar!
  • Jo2926
    Options
    ETA: Adding a daily walk is a good idea, but I (personally) wouldn't try to add much else if you haven't been working out previously.

THANKS! Thats what I was thinking - don't want to overtax my body. Will start really slowly, say 10 mins every other day and stay at that until i see the midwife again
  • Jo2926
    Options
    Your nutritionist recommended a plan that average 1200 calories a day?! That seems like way too little for a pregnant woman!!

Thats what her plan added up to - when I asked her about it she said calories aren't important its quality of food. Which I agree with, but only to an extent.
  • Jo2926
    Options
    Congratulations on being preggo!! I'm definitely no expert on pregnancy (I'm a little over 38 weeks with my first),

You must be getting excited now! Its only just starting to sink in really with me. Sorry to hear about your experience with the midwife - I guess thats one of my worries being shouted at for being too fat, but it must be just as bad to be told not to worry rather than being helped and listened to.

Good look with the next stage and congrats to you too!
  • joianett
    joianett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I did not start my pregnancy overweight but what if you ask your nutritionist about the diet for Gestational Diabetes? A lot of women who follow that either do not gain at all (in a healthy way) or actually lose weight. The numbers are broken out by carbs, protein, etc and it's my understanding that the focus is remaining on the lower end of carbohydrates and the carbohydrates you do take in are what the experts consider healthy carbs. Oh, also, when you do eat carbs, eat protein with it as that helps the carb break down in your body properly, so I am told :0)

I am 36-37 weeks pregnant and have watched my carb in take throughout pregnancy.
  • NessaR2011
    NessaR2011 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just found out I was pregnant yesterday! Congrats to all that are too! I wonder if there's a group for us preggos on MFP?