Giving advice at the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    When you see an obvious noob in the gym do you offer advice? Ot just let them figure it out?

I view the gym the same I view business.

If you aren't my friend or kin, my advice costs money.

Granted, I'm a LOT better in business than in the gym. :D
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Nah. Giving unsolicited advice is presumptuous and a touch arrogant. Generally I think it's done to make the giver feel like a big man.

Yeah, because only men do it. Ever.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Nah. Giving unsolicited advice is presumptuous and a touch arrogant. Generally I think it's done to make the giver feel like a big man.

Yeah, because only men do it. Ever.

Sorry about that. It does sound like I mean men only. I meant 'big man' like a smarty pants know it all. Having said that, I've only ever been given unsolicited advice by men (actually young men) showing off to their friends.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The thing is, how does the noob know that you give trustworthy advice?

He knew enough to identify that he was unable to do the exercise, and knew of a workaround. Most people in that situation would try *any* advice, rather than be stuck in the mud.
    Plus at this point in his fitness, does it really matter if he's doing a back exercise rather than a squat?

It matters if he injures his spine from it. The guy even said his back hurt after the workout. Kudos to the OP for offering help when the instructor was unwilling to do so.

Granted, some people in gyms offer advice for ego reasons, and that's never warranted. But this was a case of being genuinely concerned for a human in trouble. It's not much different than flashing your headlights at someone driving with their lights off at night.

As an aside note, Bodypump classes are notorious for bad form, and i always cringe watching them. There's just no way for one instructor to correct all the mistakes (some of which require extensive 1-on-1 coaching). It's best for newbies to work with a personal trainer for a few sessions before doing the classes.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Unsolicited advice is a no no in my books. Unless someone is actually asking for help it is none of your business.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It matters if he injures his spine from it. The guy even said his back hurt after the workout. Kudos to the OP for offering help when the instructor was unwilling to do so.
    There was a man in the class, a 1st timer, who must have weighed 350-400lbs.
    magic 8 ball says odds are good something would be hurting no matter what after a body pump class.

I'm above average (according to most scales) in the fitness department- I can promise you I would be hurting after a body pump class- much less trying to do it while wearing a 150 pounds of extra on me.
  • pippaw21
    pippaw21 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As a relative gym newbie, I'd welcome advice/help in the gym. Not sure I'd feel the same in a class though.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something...it sounds like you're saying he was just doing (or trying to do) front squats instead of back squats. What's wrong with that?