No new puppy

Options
:cry: We have an 18 month old female chocolate lab named Bella, and we love her. She's a bundle of energy and joy! In early September we learned about a brand new litter of pups - and we had "dibs" on the only female chocolate from the litter by the time she was just 5 days old. We were so excited to adopt her, and planned to bring her home mid-November, when she would be 9-10 weeks old.

Apparently the owner had other ideas - didn't tell us he wanted to get rid of all the pups by the time they were 6 weeks old (which is, in our opinion, way too early for lab puppies to be taken from their mothers). Anyway, he tried to get us by FB messaging over the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend (mid-October), when the puppies were only 5 weeks! When they didn't hear from us within 24 hours, they gave our puppy to someone else. I figure they found someone willing to pay more than we'd offered. We only found out this past Sunday night - when we called to find out if our puppy was ready to come home to us. We're really sad and disappointed.

The good news is that we kinda weren't looking forward to taking a puppy out two or three times a night in the middle of winter, with snow and ice and freezing cold. And, considering the fact that this guy (who's not a breeder, just has the dogs for hunting) was willing to send the pups away so early, we have to wonder how well he treats his animals. So in the end, "all things work together for good" and we know there's another Sophie out there for us, probably in the Spring. In fact, we're thinking we'll contact the family we got Bella from and see if they're planning on any more pups next year. It would be nice to adopt a puppy that's actually from the same parents as Bella. But, for now, we're still missing the puppy that wasn't. :brokenheart:

Replies

• JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I too am missing my new puppy that isn't :cry: I had dibs on a little girl about 2 weeks before she was born. Her parents belong to a guy that works for me, and the dogs temporarily live out of state while he relocated. After TWELVE weeks (they're just little guys) I still don't have her. He keeps saying it's a matter of getting the puppy here on the plane. Well, there have been 4 trips back and forth between him and his friends, and I have even offered numerous times to just pay for the puppy to fly and I will get her at the airport. I guess there's still hope, but I don't see where. I've just given up, and now I'm totally bummed! :sad:
  • mamacita99
    mamacita99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you didn't get your puppy, but you're right 6 weeks is way to early. I would like to see them stay with mom & dad for 12 weeks in a perfect world. They get more immunity from disease from mom, and are more socialized and confident.

I haven't had a puppy in 20 years (I always rescue shelter dogs - rotties) and I really wasn't ready for another dog. I lost my best friend of 8 years (Sam) in July. A friend told me about this puppy, who happened to be born the day Sam went to rainbow bridge. It seemed fate was at work here...so I brought a cute little rottie puppy home, and named him Max....and he's wonderful.

And, when the time is right, you'll find a sister dog for your girl....and all will be right in the world.
  • LuvChocLabs
    Options
    You guys are awesome! :heart: