18 year old goal is to Lose 100 pounds ... Any Advice?!

Options
Hi everyone,

I am an 18 year old female that has struggled with weight issues and low self esteem all my life. I realized that I am an emotional eater, and I have been trying to control that. I have tried diets before and have been semi successful- but i always gained the weight back. I have recently reached my heaviest weight ever, which is 281 pounds and my hight is 5'9. So I have decided to become happier, healthier, and to raise my self essteem. I want to become an example for my family- especially my younger siblings. I also am applying to nursing school in December, and one of my main goals is to be a healthy person so that i can encourage future patients to do the same.

I would really apprecitate any advice, support, and encouraging words throughout my journey.

Replies

• jourkam28
    jourkam28 Posts: 19
    Options
    Advice- dont quit even when you dont see any results, keep going!
  • FuturenurseBNH
    Options
    Thanks! :smile:
  • Oblaidon
    Oblaidon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't try to lose to fast. Don't starve yourself. Be patient.

Good Luck!
  • stephaniedl2014
    stephaniedl2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as having to lose 100lbs.... take it 5 pounds at a time... those would be small wins that actually make you feel like you are accomplishing various goals very quickly! Good luck - you can do it ......... TRACK everything - even though you may go over your calories.... just track it - it will really show you how many calories you consume.... makes ALL the difference
  • FuturenurseBNH
    Options
    Thanks! Good luck to you as well.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale to weigh your portions. It is amazing how far off a lot of measuring cups are and how distorted our sense of what a portion is. Read food labels to see what a portion is then weigh it out! You will be amazed. If you can learn this it will make a big difference in your food choices and will be a big help in reaching your goals.
    Be sure to measure your self as you start as well. Not just you weight but your measurements. And take pictures. When the scale gets stuck if things are on track the inches will still be dropping and while you may not notice changes from week to week the camera does not lie. Side by side photos in same pose are a good motivation tool.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Eat 80-90% whole real food at a calorie deficient and workout. Its pretty much that simple.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Hi!! Nice to meet you :) You are at the right place for sure! :) I can understand the emotional eater things I have been there but overtime I have learned to control it better. :) The best advice I can give is to never give up. You will fall, you will have bad days but what will seperate you is that you get up and keep moving forward :) Just because you have one bad meal don't blwo off the rest of the day :) You can do this with a little will power and motivation :) Feel free to send me a friend request if you are looking for supportive friends on your journey :)
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Track progress by measurements and photos as well as scale weight.

Be honest with yourself: there's no use in lying. If you're overeating figure out why and fix it. If you're not exercising find something else to burn calories that you enjoy.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    1. LOG EVERYTHING
    2. Portion control
    3. Get out and move
    4. Don't weigh daily (weight fluctuates, and you'll drive yourself crazy)
    5. Be consistent
    6. Don't give up!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Try and find friends on here around your age who are succeeding or have succeeded at losing the weight. They are usually the most dedicated, consistent friends on here. Great for motivation
  • bebeXchyM
    bebeXchyM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    In addition to other advices given, please start asap and never give up no matter what.
    if i had started off at 18 i wouldn't have had to deal with severe hypertension at 19 while rounding off college.. It affected my grades but thankfully it's gone now :-D
  • xoxolindseym
    Options
    Do. NOT. Quit.

Try with everything you have. Don't give up over one bad meal or one bad day.

You don't want to be in this exact same situation this time next year.

You don't want to think, "Wow, if I would have just stuck with it I could have been at goal by now..."
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Hi!! Nice to meet you :) You are at the right place for sure! :) I can understand the emotional eater things I have been there but overtime I have learned to control it better. :) The best advice I can give is to never give up. You will fall, you will have bad days but what will seperate you is that you get up and keep moving forward :) Just because you have one bad meal don't blwo off the rest of the day :) You can do this with a little will power and motivation :) Feel free to send me a friend request if you are looking for supportive friends on your journey :)

What this person said...to add to it...it may seem impossible at first..that you just cant do it..YOU CAN...just push through that initial rough patch and it will become a habit...a good habit...good luck to you
  • brandystowe1
    Options
    My advice to you is to look into Atkins / Paleo diet. I have lost 120 lbs in a year and 4 months doing this. I eat cheese, butter, oil, nuts, avocados, etc. Also, the new improved Atkins does phases for you to follow, so you never gain it back. I also found that stopping the carbs and sugar has improved my heath ten fold. I no longer have the problems I did 120 lbs ago- granted, it has a lot to do with weighing a lot less, but I can say it really works. It also teaches you how to eat healthy and still eat food you love (my fav is american cheese omelette with turkey bacon- GUILT FREE). Once you start loosing then incorporate excercise. The great thing about Atkins is that you loose 15 lbs the first week, so that gives you incentive to keep going, unlike some diets where you don't see the results in a month or two. Good Luck! You can do anything you put your mind to! :-)
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You are too young to ruin your metabolism, so please don't starve yourself! Opt for a low carb, no sugar, real food lifestyle. And eat fat! your body needs it. Stay away from gimmicks, processed/diet foods, artificial crap. No diet sodas or artificial sweeteners.

Also, don't let the scale rule your life! Take body measurements and gauge your progress by that... for example, you can use a pair of pants that fit you know, and try them on every week to see how they are fitting.

Get active, start by walking if you need to... this is a great way to get active. Try to do it outside, it is a lot more fun that running on the hamster wheel, aka treadmill.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • goodwillguy
    Options
    1. LOG EVERYTHING
    2. Portion control
    3. Get out and move
    4. Don't weigh daily (weight fluctuates, and you'll drive yourself crazy)
    5. Be consistent
    6. Don't give up!

This! It's everything you need to know! In addition, I hate to say it, because it was one of the hardest parts for me, but you have to get OK with being hungry every once in a while...
  • newtude
    newtude Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is working for me is being aware - writing everything, no matter if over calories, in MFP. Don't beat yourself up for your choices, just own them - don't hide from them. I am the same height and weight-ish but 53 years old. I started at 287 5 weeks ago - now 264! I was always told to keep a food journal but didn't believe in it - I do now.

But no judgement! Once you see the difference you will want to keep going - you are young and it will go quickly!!
  • brandystowe1
    Options
    Also, the first week of giving up carbs and sugar you literally withdrawl from it. After that- the craving are gone. I would go to a restaurant and say "look at these people eating salads- how and why would they do that with all this good food!" I no longer say that, because the cravings are gone. You retrain your taste buds to like vegetables etc. I bought the Nurti Bullet and it is fantastic!!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Take it one day at a time! You will have good days and bad days - don't celebrate too much when you do well but don't berate yourself either when you don't. This is gonna be your entire life, you have to make it sustainable. Go get 'em tiger!