stationary bike

Options
I usually walk 3 miles with 20 lbs weighted vest and the other two days I do 5 mile walk (no weight) and since its raining for the past couple days.. I decided to add the stationary bike, I do 5 miles on it on various programs, ex: uphills, etc... so I dont get board, any input on doing stationary bike.. should I do more miles ? is it the same as walking 5 miles?... Im on my last 20 lbs and its not budging so im doing as much different things I can do..

Replies

• ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Would love to hear any suggestions too.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I usually walk 3 miles with 20 lbs weighted vest and the other two days I do 5 mile walk (no weight) and since its raining for the past couple days.. I decided to add the stationary bike, I do 5 miles on it on various programs, ex: uphills, etc... so I dont get board, any input on doing stationary bike.. should I do more miles ? is it the same as walking 5 miles?... Im on my last 20 lbs and its not budging so im doing as much different things I can do..

IMO no. I can do three times the distance on the bike as the treadmill for about the same number of calories. I always do the intervals programs.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, does your gym offer spin classes, riding the bike etc can be boring but spin classes have a group environment and fast paced music so you dont get bored. I usually do a lot more on the spin bike, I can do a mile in about 2-3min, so I usually do it for 30min or so (around 10-13 miles). When you can adjust your own resistance you can increase your HR and burn more calories, I burn a ton of calories in spin class and if you arent used to it, it will help build stamina and endurance up.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was always told (and as the previous poster said, too) that you should do about 3 times the number of miles on a bike as walking.
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    I get bored easily, because I'm used to running outdoors. One stationary bike workout that I do that keeps me enthused is:

5 minutes warm-up
    20 minutes of one minute very intense, one minute recovery
    5 minutes cool-down

It's only 30 minutes and it burns a lot of calories.

I'm trying to find other good workouts online but can't seem to find any. Does anyone have other suggestions?
  • kathyrpa
    Options
    ok.. so i took some advice! I increased 3x on bike so today I did 13 miles burned 300 cal.. i did an interval on the bike so it would keep changing the resistance.. so I'll let you know if the scale starts to move at the end of the week... I also did turbo jam w/ handweights for 20 min and I'll do weights.

P.S.. my butt is sore:laugh:
  • themostbeautifullies
    Options
    I just get to say one thing about stationary bikes: RAPE!