HRM at gym

MsElphaba
MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I am thinking about venturing into a gym for some strength training while my son is at JiuJitsu tonight. If I wear my HRM for a calorie count is it okay to let it run for the duration of my workout or do I need to stop it between machines?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    nope, let it run, your heart rate will stay elevated between machines, unless you're talking about like 15 minute rest periods (which you probably won't be doing).

But remember, an HRM isn't all that effective for weight training, as a significant portion of calories burned with weight training come in the 8 to 24 hours after the session when the muscles are repairing.
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    But remember, an HRM isn't all that effective for weight training, as a significant portion of calories burned with weight training come in the 8 to 24 hours after the session when the muscles are repairing.

i didn't know that! very interesting and informative fact ;)

,s,
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    That's good info. Works for me because I'm just looking for a number to add to my calorie count. Burning a few extra that I don't know, well, I don't have to know about that do I? :laugh:
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    nope, let it run, your heart rate will stay elevated between machines, unless you're talking about like 15 minute rest periods (which you probably won't be doing).

I've only used my hrm while doing cardio machines. Should I leave it on while doing the weights?
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    I just got my HRM today and was asking myself this exact question! How useful!
    I was searching through the archives and saw something about "updating fitness information" for your HRM. Does anyone know what that's about/how you do it?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    yep, you can't track your exercise calories with weight training as exactly as you can with cardio. Generally if you do a lot of weight training but want to be super accurate, use a Body Bugg or something that's designed to continually track calories (like the ones they use on the biggest loser). A regular HRM isn't super accurate for a full 24 hour log (if you have the discipline to wear one that long that is) so that's not really a good solution. But those body buggs are supposed to be better at tracking resting heart rate. Which is probably why they're more expensive than most standard ECG based monitors (like polars or ironman or garmins)
This discussion has been closed.