Quick easy ways to get protein in?

Options

Replies

• andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eggs, tuna, chicken breast, beef, and I use Wal-Mart's protein isolate powder (like $18). I also buy egg whites in cartons since I go through them like crazy.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Aside from what others have already suggested, plain greek yogurt with whatever you want mixed in, or cottage cheese (if you're into that sort of thing, I think it tastes like boogers and will never be able to eat it). I have 227g of vanilla greek yogurt for 20g protein as a snack at work. Quest bars are 20-21g protein and are tasty but expensive, but I think they are convenient when you're traveling or something and don't have a fridge or whatever.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My dietitian recommended eating 6 oz of greek yogurt with half a scoop protein powder mixed in. I've done that, and it's yummy. I buy my protein powder at Wal-Mart and pay less than $20 for a big ol' container. Strawberry flavor! Yum! :)

You can also cook chicken breasts in the microwave. I defrost a breast for like 5 minutes or so, then nuke it at full power for 5-6 minutes. I always check doneness with a thermometer.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    Eggs/Chicken/Greek Yogurt/Protein Powder/Quest Bars/Steak - any kind of meat.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Shakeology

(notsrs)
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I can tell you a really easy way to get some protein...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be a good cook to cook chicken breasts. Even a little salt and pepper, or whatever, will be fine, then cook at 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on size and your oven.

I grill a big package and then microwave some and eat it with leftover sides or pasta sauce or salsa. Very fast, very easy, very proteiny.

So you just buy a package of chicken breasts, sprinkle some salt and pepper then bake?
    Yes. Or whatever spices you like.

Just don't over cook it so that it dries out too much. I leave it marginally on the "rare" side... no pink or anything, then let it sit under some foil to cool and finish cooking. Put it all in a ziplock bag and pull it out and nuke it when you need it. Much faster and easier than making it one meal at a time and it takes like 5 minutes to get it in the oven.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Shakeology

Not to mention all those nutrients!!!!
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition protein powder. It's 28 servings (25g each) and I get it at the Vitamin Shoppe for $29.99. I also stock up on Powercrunch and Quest protein bars there, especially when I get coupons.

I make tuna salad from two cans of tuna, a hardboiled egg, about 3T of light mayo, and a tablespoon or two of sweet pickle relish. Depending on the brand tuna I use, that can be about 55g of protein, more if I eat it in a Flatout wrap (the multigrain flax ones have 9g of protein).

I eat lots of eggs, cottage cheese, and Greek yogurt as other sources of protein. Jerky can be a good protein-packed snack, but it's pretty high in sodium.

With chicken, you might even think about getting a crockpot. You put some chicken breasts in the crockpot with whatever seasoning you want (taco seasoning, salsa, BBQ sauce, salad dressing, herbs and spices--pretty much whatever tastes good to you) and let it cook on low while you're at work all day or on high if you want to eat in 4 hours or so.

It would be a good idea to get a meat thermometer. Always make sure chicken is 165 degrees in the center.
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    eggs, or protein shakes are the easiest

Thanks! I thought about the protein shakes just not sure I want to spend $75 However often. Maybe I'll hard boil some eggs!

$75?! Why the hell would you need to buy protein powder that expensive? Mine is $28 for a 3 lb tub and you can get decent protein powder at Walmart for under $20.

Both the bodybuilding trainers I spoke to said you get what you pay for . I guess there was a study a few years ago testing the actual protein content of many different brands and only the more expensive ones had the actual dosage listed on the bottle inside as well. Said the supplement market is not very regulated.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    you could always just eat a bag of nuts....\m/
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Seriously? I can make > 25 2 scoop (50g) shakes for less than $50 in good quality protein

@Jac - what brand do you buy?

My general standby is the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard but I got a groupon a few weeks back for some Cellucor and I am enjoying that as well.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    eggs, or protein shakes are the easiest

Thanks! I thought about the protein shakes just not sure I want to spend $75 However often. Maybe I'll hard boil some eggs!

$75?! Why the hell would you need to buy protein powder that expensive? Mine is $28 for a 3 lb tub and you can get decent protein powder at Walmart for under $20.

Both the bodybuilding trainers I spoke to said you get what you pay for . I guess there was a study a few years ago testing the actual protein content of many different brands and only the more expensive ones had the actual dosage listed on the bottle inside as well. Said the supplement market is not very regulated.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Well played, jackpot. Well played.
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Honestly appreciated. I know it's probably a "Uhm duh" question for most of you.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Marry me
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Giggity!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I can tell you a really easy way to get some protein...

tumblr_lyuthuj1Su1qiolqjo1_500.gif
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    nuts and peanut butter I also use protein shakes my big bucket is expensive but not when I reak it down to servings but some tate like crap. Eggs cheese yogurt (especially Greek) and meat good I grill a lot of meat from chicken to deer meat on a george forman that we got used from a friend just put on and season with whatever. I cook enough for extras so I have for salads etc.