"starvation" mode

Options
OK...WARNING...THIS IS A RANT!

I'm so sick of hearing about starvation mode and how it could be sabatoging weight loss. I understand the principle, but enough already. To lose weight you have to take in less calories than you burn. Simple as that.

In my early 20's, I was working out at least 2-3 hours every single day (most of that was cardio with about 30 min strength or circuit training 3-4 times weekly). So while working out that much, I was eating MAYBE 1000 calories a day. MAYBE. Was that very healthy? Probably not. But you know what? I lost a ton of weight AND had a very firm toned body AND dropped my body fat significantly. So enough about starvation mode and how it's ruining weight loss. I hate that message for the 5 week prediction that if the daily calories is even slightly less than the targeted amount it mentions starvation mode. It's frustrating because I'm trying to do it right this time and I don't want to hear about starvation mode anymore.

I know a lot of people will disagree, but this post is not to start a debate or get people angry. I'm just frustrated.

End of rant.

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I agree. Thanks for posting your thoughts, Brave lady!
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, too!!!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!! I have been getting the "starvation mode" lection from everyone since I started using MFP! Calories in....Calories out.....!
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Then maybe MFP isn't for you.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!

People over quote it on here too but they've heard it once, seen it on the 5 week prediction so it must be true...right?! GRRRR
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    What an odd response.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    OK...WARNING...THIS IS A RANT!

I'm so sick of hearing about starvation mode and how it could be sabatoging weight loss. I understand the principle, but enough already. To lose weight you have to take in less calories than you burn. Simple as that.

In my early 20's, I was working out at least 2-3 hours every single day (most of that was cardio with about 30 min strength or circuit training 3-4 times weekly). So while working out that much, I was eating MAYBE 1000 calories a day. MAYBE. Was that very healthy? Probably not. But you know what? I lost a ton of weight AND had a very firm toned body AND dropped my body fat significantly. So enough about starvation mode and how it's ruining weight loss. I hate that message for the 5 week prediction that if the daily calories is even slightly less than the targeted amount it mentions starvation mode. It's frustrating because I'm trying to do it right this time and I don't want to hear about starvation mode anymore.

I know a lot of people will disagree, but this post is not to start a debate or get people angry. I'm just frustrated.

End of rant.

I understand that starvation mode takes awhile to actually kick in. But, slowing down your metabolism or whatever hinder to weight loss it may or may not cause aside.. I think there's a bigger picture to not eating enough. Your not getting enough energy to run all normal body functions, organs will be compromised and neglected if your not getting enough calories to operate normally. So yes, maybe eating less than 1200 calories won't hinder weight loss and you'll look hot but your insides are going to be a hot mess.
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    I hear ya there! My calorie allowance for the day is 1200 calories and I don't normally hit that mark... but I'm healthy and not starving! I get lectured by my friends to eat more- but I'm not usually hungry for more. The "starvation mode" is different for every person because every body metabolizes differently!
  • Liz75
    Liz75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You will open up a discussion no doubt..! ;-)
    Your previous workouts and calories intake would surely reap rewards without question, and it would take some serious committment and will power to exercise for that amount of time with fewer calories than your body needs. When I did some serious running miles a few years back I lost a lot of weight and body fat but I was not dieting at the same time, I was probably eating more than usual. And I'd get annoyed when my mum told me not to lose any more weight.."I'm not on a diet" I'd reply!!
    I like my food, I like to savour and enjoy meal times. I like to know the good stuff is doing my body good.People are different and have different thresholds. If someone is exercising excessively and barely eating then their body will 'let them know' in time -fainting, dizziness, poor memory, weakened immune system, and its at that point one would ask themselves whether a firmer body is worth it in the end.
    The word 'starvation mode' is thrown about a lot I agree -'missing out on vital nutrients which would sustain a healthy life' is perhaps a better description....There are people in the world who are starving from lack of food (not by choice), and its sad that people who have the means to fuel themselves choose not to..
  • catcrazy
    Options

or may be it is ... The M in MFP stands for MY

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT and guides are just that, guides only. Its not a bible to live by because if it was I wouldn't have lost any weight.
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    How long are you going to be able to stick with such low calorie intake? Guess what! after you start eating even slightly more, the weight will start piling back up! Because your metabolism is way down!
    Good luck!
  • catcrazy
    Options
    How long are you going to be able to stick with such low calorie intake? Guess what! after you start eating even slightly more, the weight will start piling back up! Because your metabolism is way down!
    Good luck!

If you build up your intake correctly you can boost your metabolic rate quite easily. TFR diets work if followed properly which includes a refeed...this is to get your metabolic rate back up. I don't like TFR's because most people just do use them as a quick fix and how boring are soups and shakes all the while but many many people have been successful with them...and TFR's are typically 500-600 calories so way into "starvation mode". Its all about how you up your calorie intake. Do it sensibly and you will be fine
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY Agree, people are always pushing their positions like a Shyster Lawyer! AND what they say has as much credibility!
    Thanks for speaking out and NOT following the "common" thought. The key to weight loss IS burning more calories than you eat AND having a Plan that you can stick to Constantly (Day In-Day Out), because if you can't stick to a Plan, No way will anyone lose weight and KEEP It OFF!
  • bk2011
    bk2011 Posts: 268
    Options
    Good luck!

I am NOT currently doing this. Right now I'm eating 1300-1500 calories and doing insanity. But, I did keep all that weight off and maintained at 125-130 lbs for about 7 years even when I started exercising less (full time job took over) and eating more (got married). This time around I'm trying to get the weight I gained during pregnancy off...and I'm attempting to do it on 1300-1500 calories.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Wow....I thought that "My Fitness Pal" was a place for each person to lose weight, get fit, etc. in their own individual way! I think that there's room for everyone here.....And there should be tolerance for opposing opinions as well.
  • littlehobbit123
    Options
    I at one point lived on probably less than 500 cals a day at one point, whilst working (hard) outdoors from 7am not getting home til 8pm, then had spouts of eating TONS (probably way way over 2000 cals!) and my weight never really changed. Now I have stopped that level of exercise but am still eating under 1000 cals normally my weight has rocketed. To be honest I don't beleive (in my case anyway) it has that much to do with the food but the lifestyle/exercise undertaken!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Eh? Why would you think that?
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

Not true actually, her metabolism will not be way down because she will have kept it going with her exercise.

That does not always stand either, that after eating even just slightly more, the weight will start piling back up. It didn't with me years ago after I went on a 1000 calories per day diet, the weight went back on after I got pregnant with my second daughter. Then when I had had her, I just basically, ate like a pig - I am talking thousands of calories per day, hence the weight gain.

This time around I am on 1200 calories though, but back in the day, 1000 calories was endorsed by quite a few organisations.
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    all i know is this is damn confusing for someone just starting out (ME!)

do i eat my calories? do i not?
    i'm NOT worried about 'starving' my body. i like food too much to do that.

but often, after workouts i'm lefts w/ upwards of 500+ calories and it's 8pm at night.

i want the fitness gods to appear to me in a dream and tell me the real deal.
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in/calories out.
    You need to fuel your body.
    For me, the best way to do that is with whole grains, fruits/veg, dairy, good fats, protein.
    If you're not hungry, don't eat. If you are hungry, then eat
    But, going to extremes is neither sustainble in the long term, nor healthy.