Goal Setting and Personal Pep-Talk

Options
I am a repeat offender when it comes to getting fired up about getting healthy... then letting myself get comfortable in old habits. I went to a potluck with my husband and some friends the other day, and had a moment of extreme discomfort... mostly because of my weight/insecurity. I am literally the heaviest I have ever been, and have gotten to the point where I don't want to wear short-sleeves because I'm so self-conscious over my arms.

Y'all. I live in Mississippi. It's hot here. Like... really hot. It's time to make some changes so I can at least wear less clothes and beat this heat! I no longer want to be envious of the other ladies who can confidently wear summery sleeveless dresses while I am sweating it out in jeans and a cardigan (and I know I should be able to embrace it, dress how I want and be comfortable... but I'm just not there).

So, what do I do from here? Writing a post on the message boards isn't the solution. The 3 color-coded "goal" post-it notes I have in front of me on my desk are not going to magically become true.

It's time to get to work.

And now, here are my goals. Please offer words of wisdom, helpful hints, funny pictures, or whatever the Spirit moves you to post.

Food Pep-Talk:
1) Measure everything... no more eyeballing... dust off that food scale and those measuring cups and get down to business.
2) Enough with the snacking when you aren't even hungry.
3) Maybe don't drink that extra glass of wine.
4) Watch the amount of sugar you are eating. Yes, those granola bars are delicious, but there has got to be a better option to keep you fuller longer. (But don't be the sugar police... have a treat in moderation, it will be OK)
5) Drink more water.

Exercise Pep-Talk:
1) Add running/strength training to existing cardio routine. Sure, Zumba is fun and burns some calories, but you are getting used to it. Time to shake it up. Remember that time you liked to run? and you were way healthier then? Probably not a coincidence.
2) Remind yourself that it is OK to take a day off to recover. Let's not get hurt.

Shed Some Poundage:
CW: 185
Mini-Goal- Get the ball rolling and lose 5lbs by the end of the month-ish.
Goal 1: 165 by October 1 (and wow everyone at your conference)
Goal 2: 150 by NYE (and rock some sequins for the first time ever)
Goal 3: 145 by February 11 (and wow the work conference people even more. Added bonus: you haven't been this weight since law school)
Goal 4: 135 by April 20 (and convince your husband you desperately need to be on a beach in a bikini for your 2nd anniversary)

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in setting goals and making them public. For me, it helps me to be accountable. If everyone knows what I'm trying to do - I don't want to let them down. (Which would really be letting me down.) So make it known to the world, whatever that means for you. :)

Find your weakest areas, and target 1 this week. (Me, its veggies and guess what? We've become friends!)

You CAN do this. Its not about going on a diet, its about making subtle changes to your life, so you can enjoy it fully!
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I LOVE your attitude and goals!

And remember, you are only competing with yourself each day(none of those other ladies). And don't beat yourself up during the journey, spend more time patting yourself on the back for ALL of the positive changes you are making!

Oh yeah, keep killing it :)
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Keep up the positive attitude and pep talk ! you can do it
  • Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I could have totally written this. I just updated my status with something similar: excuses, heaviest etc.

My new goals are very similar to yours. Feel free to add me, or my Food Log is open.

I should probably cut out the Fireball, but......

Just need to get off of my ars...........

Good luck!