quick, cheap lunch ideas?

Options
hi all! lately i've been doing the lean cuisine thing for lunch. but i want something more healthy. and since eating healthy is expensive, and usually takes prepping/cooking ahead of time, i wondered if anyone could give me some ideas for quick cheap lunches to bring to work? i'm going to walmart tonight for groceries. any ideas would be appreciated! :wink:

Replies

• soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I made cabbage soup a couple of times. It is delicious and very cheap. I also made sausage stew for this week. The cabbage soup is super cheap. It's around pennies per day. You can find the recipe(s) at Allrecipes.com.

The cool thing about either item is you make it one day and you are done for the week.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Two quick things I've been enjoying for lunch lately:

1) salad greens (I use spinach) topped with (rinsed) black beans, corn (not from can but frozen), chopped boiled egg, chile-lime tortilla strips (near the croutons at the grocery store). I throw the lettuce in a big bag with ONE tbsp of salsa ranch dressing and shake it up, then I put my toppings on. My co-workers are so jealous of my salad!

2) I made vegetarian chili last night. It's SO good and filling and under 200 cals per cup. I used this recipe and threw in some extra paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, etc. I also accidentally threw in some black olives (thought I was grabbing black beans!) but they were actually very good in it.
    http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/featured-brands/vegetarian-chili.aspx
  • tndavis78
    Options
    Since its getting cool outside I made some turkey chili.....very low fat/low cal and high protien....it came out to around 280 cal per 1 cup serving...it also depends on what ground turkey you put in it...and it made alot and great for the chilly days...
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Here is a thread I started yesterday.... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/134705-lunch-ideas-low-cal-low-sodium
    Lots of good ideas.

I will say I bought the stuff for the pizza wrap yesterday and WOWIE super yummy!

I made the brown rice and black beans last night and even my husband loved it. :)
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I make toasted turkey sandwiches. Butterball makes Thanksgiving Style turkey you can buy near the bacon. So good! I get the deep fried kind and it's YUUUM! I put 4 slices of that with lettuce and tomato. Then I'll have a side with it. Maybe some baby carrots or applesauce. I also make a regular bagel with butter on it, or since I am a SAHM and can cook anytime, I make ham and cheese bagel melts or pizza bagels.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Being that it is getting cold. (at least here it is) make a big pot of turkey chili. Then separate the portions and freeze some and put some in the fridge and you have quite a few lunches. I just made it for the first time and it was wonderful!

1lb Ground Turkey
    1 can of Pinto Beans (make sure to rinse them)
    1 can of corn (rinse as well)
    1pkg of chili seasoning (I use the low sodium)
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    1 can of tomato sauce

Basically with the tomatoes I went for when it had the right consistancy that I like.

This is soo filling and soo tasty.

Now, if you wait for it to cool down and you put them in ziploc bags and lay them flat in the freezer it will make it quicker to heat up when you are on the run!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I have access to a fridge at lunch. Lately I've put a bag of small carrots, two bell peppers, a tub of hummus and a box of akmak in on Monday....the crackers tend to last two weeks.
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Man I just love these ideas.... :)
  • ismatts
    Options
    Being that it is getting cold. (at least here it is) make a big pot of turkey chili. Then separate the portions and freeze some and put some in the fridge and you have quite a few lunches. I just made it for the first time and it was wonderful!

1lb Ground Turkey
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    1 can of tomato sauce

Basically with the tomatoes I went for when it had the right consistancy that I like.

Now, if you wait for it to cool down and you put them in ziploc bags and lay them flat in the freezer it will make it quicker to heat up when you are on the run!

Why do you rinse the beans and corn? I have never heard of that.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

1lb Ground Turkey
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    1 can of tomato sauce

Why do you rinse the beans and corn? I have never heard of that.
    rinses some of the salt/sodium off because canned veggies are packing in salt laden water. If you use frozen ones, there is only the natural sodium to worry about. That's why I use frozen veggies whenever possible.
  • Vivx
    Vivx Posts: 121
    Options
    sushi ?! x
  • Degren
    Degren Posts: 80
    Options
    I cook up onions and bell peppers on the weekend, in just a tiny amount of olive oil. Then I cook a bag of 10 minute brown rice and enjoy the rice and veggies with a little bit of cheese. It is also yummy with steamed brocolli and other veggies. For a little more protein, add some chicken or beans. It heats up well at work.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I cook up onions and bell peppers on the weekend, in just a tiny amount of olive oil. Then I cook a bag of 10 minute brown rice and enjoy the rice and veggies with a little bit of cheese. It is also yummy with steamed brocolli and other veggies. For a little more protein, add some chicken or beans. It heats up well at work.

I do this as well! Super yummy!

Another one I do is brown 1 lb lean beef or turkey add 1 can rinsed black beans, 1 cup brown rice, 2 cups water and taco seasoning cook till rice is done. Top with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, salsa and a few crunched up tortilla chips. Yummy, easy and low cal (I have the figures at home not with me but it's easy to figure out as long as you keep accurate measurements) also good wrapped in whole wheat tortillas when doing this I leave the tortilla chips out.