Encouragement needed!

Options
Hi All--

I am almost 36 years old and I've done the weight loss journey before a couple of times (post babies) and kept it off with success (until the next baby, lol). Anyway, I am 5'7 and currently weigh 178. I started at 188 and am on day 38 of MFP. But I've only lost a little over a 1lb a week these last couple of weeks and I feel like I'm stuck. My goal was to lose 2lbs a week. My calorie intake is about 1750 a day. (I get 300 extra a day because I am nursing my 12-month old).

Anyway- I am having these moments where I just want to give into cravings. Is anyone else in the same boar?

Thanks for your support!

Replies

• tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi! Your frustration is normal! Are you doing any kind of exercise? What is your diet like? I would be happy to take a look at give you feedback. It does matter what and when you eat -- not just how much.
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I too thought 2lbs a week was a reasonable loss but have found its hard to actually do week in week out.

Cravings are a killer, I gave up smoking so thought I had the cravings licked but not apparently when it comes to bread and cheese! I figure gradually reduce - not cut it out completely, that's my new strategy! What are you craving?

Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • serenitynowplease
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am exercising at least 4 days a week. I do pilates, Jackie Warner circuit training and jogging. I ran a marathon a few years ago--someday I'd like to do it again. I am beginning to see that weight loss is harder the older you get ;)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week is great. If you're nursing now, I'd say to not try anything more extreme as stress, hydration, etc. can affect your milk supply.

If cravings are tough for you, perhaps adjust your thinking. 1500 calories + 250 more for those cravings. Perhaps if it doesn't feel taboo, it will help you adjust. Then in a few weeks, limit the cravings. Perhaps giving in 2-3 times a week instead of daily.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble the first time around but this time I'm finding it easier because I realized two things.

1. Anyone saying what you eat or when you eat matters is incorrect. I love my chocolate. Every single day I have chocolate pieces after dinner, a fudge bar before bed and a chocolate pudding cup. I also eat a big dinner. It is not what you eat but very simple calories in vs calories out. You can allow yourself yummy foods as long as they fit in your calorie goals for the day.

2. Allow yourself an occasional cheat meal. I use cheat meals as a reward. Every week I go to the gym 3 days. Whatever calories I burn, I don't eat back. When the weekend gets here my fiancee and I go out to dinner and I eat back the calories I burned over the weekend. I still count my calories and watch what I eat but if I worked out 3 days and burned over 1k calories, I can have some pasta with alfredo sauce.. yum! If I didn't earn the calories, I don't get to eat them.

You have to find what works best for you. I drop 1-2 pounds a week. I treat this as a life change and not a "diet". That means if I have a week (like 4th of July weekend where I had bbq with family for 3 days straight) where I gain a pound back, no biggie, I will drop it again. Don't give up and do what works for you. Don't let anyone tell you that you are doing it wrong.

If you are dropping weight and being healthy then their opinion doesn't matter if someone thinks you shouldn't eat X or drink Y because it is empty calories. As long as you have the calories, it is your choice on what you use them on.

Good luck! And feel free to add me if you like.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week is great!

Keep up the good work!

I've heard from certified nutritionists that losing slowly can predict long-term success. Keep doing what you're doing. Patience and persistence are two of the key ingredients to weight loss, I've found. You will have some bad weeks, and you will need to have the ability to fight through them and continue toward your long-term goals. I know you want it all as fast as possible, but keep in mind that you can also burn out by trying to go too fast.

Good luck!