Blisters after my first 1/2 marathon

BrittSwimsJDRF
BrittSwimsJDRF Posts: 50 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I just completed my first 1/2 marathon on Sunday, and I feel great! But I have a few blisters on my feet, which I didn't expect. I am running with a shoe that is 1/2 - 1 size bigger to account for swelling, and I ran with my runner's socks. Even on my long runs during training, I never got anything close to blisters. Is this par for the course, or could I have done something to prevent this? I am wanting to run another, and eventually a marathon, and would like to know what NOT to do next time, to prevent this. Do you have any insight or advice?

Replies

• missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    This may sound obvious so sorry if it does but did you get your shoes fitted properly? 1-1 1/2 sizes big is normal for runners that need extra toe space but if there is too much room or your feet slide forward or the shoe is too wide, that can cause blisters. And one thing I found is all running socks are not created equal. Some have padding/support in different places and thicker textures tend to cause friction. You can also try using body glide. Congrats on your first half marathon!! Good luck
This discussion has been closed.