To Much Protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• marczmcgee
    Options
    You can add tons of fats just in your cooking techniques. Cooking vegetables in butter? Yum. Low carb, high fat. Same with sauces -- especially butter or cream based sauces. High fat, low carb (or can be low carb). Think of high end French food (minus the bread). Coconut oil, coconut milk (like in thai food), avocado, bacon (not all that calorie dense but pretty much makes everything taste better -- saute up a little green beans, red onions and bacon in butter -- delicious), nut butters, nuts generally, etc.

You just have to avoid the starchy veggies for the carbs, but otherwise, fats make awesome cooking oils and sauces.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind!
  • marczmcgee
    Options
    And just for the record im not trying to build muscle im trying to loose weight.

I weigh 248 right as of sunday (started at 256) and I do RushFit 6 days a week.

Trying to loose and keep muscle.

So is 150g-190g protein a day a good goal to shoot for?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    And just for the record im not trying to build muscle im trying to loose weight.

I weigh 248 right as of sunday (started at 256) and I do RushFit 6 days a week.

Trying to loose and keep muscle.

So is 150g-190g protein a day a good goal to shoot for?

Yes.

You actually require a higher amount of protein in a calorie deficit to retain LBM than you do in a surplus to gain LBM.

That is if the weight you want to lose is fat not muscle. (also I'd be doing some sort of resistance training as this is the primary stimulus for retaining LBM. i.e. I lost majority of weight initially with cardio and adequate protein levels (much higher than you) and still lost a LOT of LBM)
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Your levels are probably fine, but for those saying it is 1 g of protein per 1 lb of body weight, you're not correct. It is about .8g of protein per KILOGRAM of body weight. Less if sedentary, more if you're more active/athletic.

I can't speak about what is too much for someone, but be aware of what the actual guideline is. The guideline is a baseline, though. It doesn't mean you can't go over it.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You can add tons of fats just in your cooking techniques. Cooking vegetables in butter? Yum. Low carb, high fat. Same with sauces -- especially butter or cream based sauces. High fat, low carb (or can be low carb). Think of high end French food (minus the bread). Coconut oil, coconut milk (like in thai food), avocado, bacon (not all that calorie dense but pretty much makes everything taste better -- saute up a little green beans, red onions and bacon in butter -- delicious), nut butters, nuts generally, etc.

You just have to avoid the starchy veggies for the carbs, but otherwise, fats make awesome cooking oils and sauces.

This one post has made me more hungry than I have been in a few months.

Well done!
  • marczmcgee
    Options
    Once again thank you so much you guys all gave me amazing advice. I will Keep doing what I am doing.