Giving up soda and candy for the day

Options
I am DETERMINED to not drink any soda or eat any candy today.

I had "beat" both several months ago and lost 25 lbs in the process.

Now I am back on both as bad or worse (10+ cans per day) than I was before.

Replies

• newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    be careful about the caffene headaches.
    Maybe eliminate one or two a day till your down to zero.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Don't deny yourself completely. That kind of activity just results in the roller-coaster that you are currently in. Set a limit for yourself per day of candy and soda. By weaning yourself off slowly there is a much better chance that you won't binge in the future.
  • drew77
    Options
    if you have to drink soda drink diet
    cut candy out compeltely- eat fruit instead
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    Try moving to diet soda or tea. I try never to drink my calories but do enjoy diet soda at this point. So much so that I can't even drink a regular soda at this point as it is too sweet. Candy is a weak spot for me but so I try not to keep it around, outa sight outa mind. Kind of hard now that Halloween just came.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    If you drink that much soda a day cutting all of it will give you a killer withdraw headache. Try for a smaller goal. Cut out 2 a day until you cut them out completely. Remember if you start to get a headache to drink a little to stop the withdraw. I am also a soda drinker but now I drink a lot less and don't miss it that much. Not to mention candy....Once you stop eating the candy for about 2 weeks you get that need for sweets out of your system. Good Luck.
  • nowic
    nowic Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    WTG man!! :bigsmile: I had to give up Coke cold turkey(by choice)- it was tough!! I use to drink between 8-12 cans a day :grumble: I had done it several times but this time I was more determined and serious. So I have not had a coke since Aug. 9th- woot woot!!:bigsmile: And yes I still miss it, but I dont miss the way it made me feel- and it is def. getting easier :happy: I drank a ton of water the day I quit and I didnt have a headache, which is funny because all of the other days I tried to quit I had killer headaches. My friend quit the same time and he took a No-Dose the first day and a half of one the second day, 1/4 of one the third and then no more after that. It worked great for him! Plus he didnt have to pick up a pop and be tempted to have more just to keep the headache away. :happy:
    Good luck- Stay strong!!
  • yummymammy
    yummymammy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good luck. You can do it! :smile:
  • jamesrreed
    jamesrreed Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    be careful about the caffene headaches.
    Maybe eliminate one or two a day till your down to zero.

You're right. I'm not looking to give it up entirely for good, just today.

Trying to show myself that I can go 24 hrs without a Coke or Mountain Dew in light of how miserable I have done lately.

When I did so well a few months ago I weened myself down to 1 or 2 a day. That's what I am trying to get back to.

Am drinking lots of water today for the obvious benefits but also to try and hold off the headache.
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    I gave up soda's about 15 years ago. I did it on a dare and never went back. BUT, this was after 5 years of being married to a health nut so I didn't drink as much sodas as I did before. I agree with slowly doing away with it. Good luck~
  • jamesrreed
    jamesrreed Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For the record - I failed miserably at my attempt to go the entire day without a soda.

I made it until dinner but fell off the wagon in a big, BIG way. Ultimately I drank 5-7 Mountain Dews before going to bed (in a matter of just five hours).

I'm still down 16 lbs overall from a start of 220 in September but at 204, I'm UP 13 from my low of 191 just a few weeks ago.
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Dude,

Never been into fizzy drinks but chocolate and crisps is another story. Oh and biscuits.... always whilst waiting for the kettle to boil. I promised myself no biscuits today.... I've eaten 4 :(

Personally I find that complete abstinence is the only way but then after a few months I'll fall off the wagon and eat a whole packet or several chocolate bars back to back then I'll abstain for awhile. My wife echo's some of the other comments in this thread and tells me to only have a little bit when I want. Trouble is it just whet's my appetite. I really have to leave it alone and make sure I have a healthy cereal bar with me to avoid buying chocolate if I feel hungry.

I've heard of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy helping people to avoid or re-direct certain habits. Might be worth a quick search on the net.

Good luck.