Low Cal Apple Pie??? If it's even possible

fitnwhole
fitnwhole Posts: 227
edited September 22 in Recipes
With the holidays coming up I would like to bring my own dessert to my family's Thanksgiving dinner to avoid the sugar & butter laden desserts that are extremely high in calories (but ohhhh so good). Any recipes for me? :smile:

Replies

• rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Absolutely!First thing:soy butter,olive oil,coconut oil,or applesauce can all be used as butter substitutes!Much healthier,then add cinnamon and oats(like granola) to apple slices,maybe a little soy whip or light cool whip too!Let me know if you try it
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    I would have to say there isn't really a "low cal" apple pie, just a "LOWER cal" apple pie :-P

I recently made this apple pie recipe from Eating Well, and it is SOOO good - the nutrition facts make it completely doable to work in a piece of pie:

Per serving: 344 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 143 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/deep_dish_apple_pie.html

Hope this helps!
  • angiemcgovern
    angiemcgovern Posts: 64 Member
    You should check out eatingwell.com. They have a couple of yummy looking lower-calorie desserts.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/easy_thanksgiving_dessert_recipes
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I'm making baked apples and pumpkin mousse this year: no pie crust, very little butter, and an entire baked apple (with a little cinnamon, brown sugar and chopped almonds, drizzled in caramel icecream topping) is incredibly filling....as if one needed something filling....

And the Cooking Light Pumpkin Mousse is made with yogurt cheese....just so good....
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    OK, I can't take credit for this as I got the idea off here, but i adjusted a couple things and made this. IT IS DELICIOUS!!!

1 - 29 oz Can Libby's Pure Pumpkin
    2 - small boxes of Jello Instant Sugar Free Fat Free Cheesecake Flavor Pudding
    1 - 1 1/2 T. Pumpkin Pie Spice (or to taste)
    1 - 8 oz Fat Free Cool Whip
    1 - Keebler Reduced Fat Graham Cracker Crust

Mix everything well and put in graham cracker crust. Refrigerate.
    Serves 8

213 Calories
    4 g Fat
    (Regular Pumpkin Pie has 320 Cal and 17 g fat)

This is almost like a pumpkin mousse and is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • apple crisp is sooo much lower in calories and better since you don't have the white carby crust.

i use sugar in the raw and wheat flour. you can also add fresh cranberries into the apple mixture to add color and variety.

cheering you on!
    jane
  • Absolutely!First thing:soy butter,olive oil,coconut oil,or applesauce can all be used as butter substitutes!Much healthier,then add cinnamon and oats(like granola) to apple slices,maybe a little soy whip or light cool whip too!Let me know if you try it

olive oil should NOT be heated...when heated it turns into a bad fat.
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Absolutely!First thing:soy butter,olive oil,coconut oil,or applesauce can all be used as butter substitutes!Much healthier,then add cinnamon and oats(like granola) to apple slices,maybe a little soy whip or light cool whip too!Let me know if you try it

olive oil should NOT be heated...when heated it turns into a bad fat.
    I was suggesting raw not cooked or heated.
This discussion has been closed.