How to lose weight properly

Options
So I took a four month break from trying to lose weight but I want to get back into it. I'm 20 5 foot 8 and weigh about 240 pounds. My Goal is to get down to 200 by lets say November. I'm currently working full time as a dishwasher so I have a very active job right now constantly moving around for about eight hours a day five days a week. My plan is to also start being more careful with what I eat and hopefully start either insanity or couch to 5k program sometime soon. Any tips on what I can do? I'm going on vacation next week for 2 weeks to Thailand but I'll be walking a lot pretty much every day the entire day.
Any advice is helpful, especially with staying dedicated to your goals since I have a habit of dropping them after a month or two, thanks. Feel free to add me to as I need friends who will shout at me.

Replies

• traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on your decision to start afresh. The only tip I have in staying with your goal is to make logging your meals on here as regular and as necessary as brushing your teeth or taking a shower. Just make it a part of your daily personal care routine. The first thing I do in the morning, after making my breakfast, is to log my food and make sure I stay within my daily allowance. I think, if you can do that, the rest will follow. I sincerely wish you all the very best and look forward to hearing of your success!! You can do it!
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Try the sofa to 5K program... Running can be addictive! It really sucks at first but than you start competing against yourself and trying to do better than the last time and the time before that. Sign up for an actual 5K and share your goal with everyone... facebook, here, wherever... you are more likely to complete it if you have told everyone about it

Than maybe integrate the insanity and other workout regimes later on just to change things up a bit. Keep the body guessing :)
  • christew
    christew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    David, I had a personal trainer for the last three years. He said that proper weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds per week. He said the primary part of that should be diet control. Exercise is secondary. Exercise should include at least two days per week (1/2 hour) of weight training or resistance training. Build muscle in order to increase metabolism. As for diet, go heavy on veggies, very light on carbs (get rid of white stuff like sugar, bread, rice, pasta), minimize or eliminate alcohol and desert, fruit for desert three times per day, lots of protein is good (getting protein from veggies sources is preferable to meat. Fish is good too). Other important tips included logging calories on myfitness pal, logging exercise. Many people do this with a friend in order to feel accountable and encouraged. It's good to have picture of your goal so you can visualize it. Remember, controlling caloric intake is most important. Proper sleep and hydration are also important parts of weight loss. 7-8 hours sleep per night. 8-9 glasses of water. Eliminate all soft drinks. So, that's my best advice. Best of luck.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Read the above and all the links, it's really helpful.

I found success by not giving up anything I ate before. I just eat less of it now or eat it less often and plan for it with increased activity. Also, be honest when you set up the settings, put active since you are active in your job. Be realistic about your weight loss, 1 - 1.5 lbs/week is a realistic goal depending on how much you have to lose, anyway you look at it though that's safe and realistic. Find exercise that you love to do so you don't get bored in a month or two, if you do then find something else. I figured out I love running but I also need to lift so I am going to do both but my main form of activity is horseback riding. I stay motivated to lift and run because it helps me improve my riding.

Find a group of supportive friends and stay interactive with them, it helps.

Good luck!