Weight Gain During Menstrual Cycle

Options
2»

Replies

• nicoleyg
    nicoleyg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me last month and I gained 6 pounds. I noticed I was very bloated around the middle also. Funny how I never noticed those things before, but with the little bit of weight I lost so far, I'm starting to notice a lot of things about my body. Thank goodness the weight came off after a few days and also a few extra pounds.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Looks like I lost most of the water again. I wonder what is the connection between drinking a lot and water retention, or the lack of it?
  • LosingItInDenver
    Options
    This post has me feeling so much better. I weighed myself today and was up 2 lbs... and then I remembered that my visitor is expected any day now. I'm not so worried anymore. Thanks for all your comments here!
  • sarahfishy
    sarahfishy Posts: 14
    Options
    Typically when does the water weight drop off for everyone? Towards the end of the period or a few days after it has completely finished?

I am nearing towards the end of mine now and I'm still carrying an extra 2 lbs which I really want to drop since I'm going on vacation next week to a beach thus having to be in a bathing suit!
  • sarahfishy
    Options
    Bump, anyone? :flowerforyou:
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Typically when does the water weight drop off for everyone? Towards the end of the period or a few days after it has completely finished?

I am nearing towards the end of mine now and I'm still carrying an extra 2 lbs which I really want to drop since I'm going on vacation next week to a beach thus having to be in a bathing suit!
    Everybody's different. Weigh yourself weekly (at the same time, under the same conditions), and look for a downward trend.

And take measurements & photos, too.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 5-10 lbs of water weight the week before my period. At first it was very disheartening, but it is what it is. My body turns into a sponge and doesn't let anything go it seems. It doesn't completely go away until it's over or the last day or two, but I usually do see it decrease to 2-3 lbs at the start. Afterwards, I usually see a decent loss if I stuck to my calories the two weeks of. With this knowledge, I've just resigned myself to not recording losses but twice a month.

Every girl is different. I personally don't think much of gains during this time anymore now that I realize it's all hormones and not actual fat. I kept some of my fatter pants just for that one week because of the bloat and to be more comfy at work. I'm trying to get pregnant, so frankly, I don't complain about mother nature anymore except fuss that she showed up when I'm wanting her to take a 9 month break LOL.
  • SRDB00
    SRDB00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 6-10lbs (this also depends on my sodium intake when I start). I know it feels horrible to see the gain but eventually it will even itself out as long as you stick to your calorie budget and keep exercising. It will pass.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I gain 4 - 5 lbs around that time. Drops off two or three days after. At first, I would use it as a bit of an excuse to eat. Now I use it as motivation to work harder.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I would say this is completely normal. I ALWAYS weigh more around the same time of month. It always goes away.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    if you eat lots of asparagus, it will act as a diuretic and help keep you from large water weight gains. it's low calorie and tasty, too.

Mind = Blown

I will try this!

TY!
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,277 Member
    Options
    Now, I see a lot of advice here about not weighing yourself around period central to combat the depression that comes with the scale going up. Totally sound advice, and I've even followed it for a bit...but I found something that works even better for me, which is actually what lead to my little epiphany after 24 years of bleeding - weigh every day through your week or two that things usually go awry.

Wait! Don't run away yet! Hear me out! Weighing myself during this time has actually worked to desensitize me from the horrors of the monthly gain. The first couple periods were pure *kitten* (not literally), but after a while I realized "Why worry so much? You see the pattern, you see you lose it again and then some - it's just water!" Even though it took some self convincing at first, I'm there. I get it. It's gonna happen...period.

I'm still not keen on the bloating and swelling, but have seen some great ideas on this site about how to alleviate those. Will be stocking up on asparagus for next week. :bigsmile:
  • sarahfishy
    Options
    Now, I see a lot of advice here about not weighing yourself around period central to combat the depression that comes with the scale going up. Totally sound advice, and I've even followed it for a bit...but I found something that works even better for me, which is actually what lead to my little epiphany after 24 years of bleeding - weigh every day through your week or two that things usually go awry.

Wait! Don't run away yet! Hear me out! Weighing myself during this time has actually worked to desensitize me from the horrors of the monthly gain. The first couple periods were pure *kitten* (not literally), but after a while I realized "Why worry so much? You see the pattern, you see you lose it again and then some - it's just water!" Even though it took some self convincing at first, I'm there. I get it. It's gonna happen...period.

I'm still not keen on the bloating and swelling, but have seen some great ideas on this site about how to alleviate those. Will be stocking up on asparagus for next week. :bigsmile:

For my past two cycles I have been weighing myself through my period as you have done. I've noticed that I gain almost 5 lbs. So I guess now I know what to expect and not worry about it too much!

But yes everyone has given great tips on the matter, thank you!!!