Recommendations for traing for natty bbers

Options
chrisdavey
chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24998610

Recommendations for natural bodybuilding contest preparation: resistance and cardiovascular training.

Helms E1, Fitschen PJ, Aragon A, Cronin J, Schoenfeld BJ.

Author information

Abstract

The anabolic effect of resistance training can mitigate muscle loss during contest preparation. In reviewing relevant literature, we recommend a periodized approach be utilized. Block and undulating models show promise. Muscle groups should be trained 2 times weekly or more, although high volume training may benefit from higher frequencies to keep volume at any one session from becoming excessive. Low to high (~3--15) repetitions can be utilized but most repetitions should occur in the 6--12 range using 70--80% of 1 repetition maximum. Roughly 40--70 reps per muscle group per session should be performed, however higher volume may be appropriate for advanced bodybuilders. Traditional rest intervals of 1--3 minutes are adequate, but longer intervals can be used. Tempo should allow muscular control of the load;; 1-- 2sec concentric and 2--3sec eccentric tempos. Training to failure should be limited when performing heavy loads on taxing exercises, and primarily relegated to single--joint exercises and higher repetitions. A core of multi--joint exercises with some single--joint exercises to address specific muscle groups as needed should be used, emphasizing full range of motion and proper form. Cardiovascular training can be used to enhance fat loss. Interference with strength training adaptations increases concomitantly with frequency and duration of cardiovascular training. Thus, the lowest frequency and duration possible while achieving sufficient fat loss should be used. Full--body modalities or cycling may reduce interference. High intensities may as well;; however, require more recovery. Fasted cardiovascular training may not have benefits over fed--state and could be detrimental.

Replies

• shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a full body modality would mean in terms of cardio? Burpees?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd say that would fit in.

Personally for cardio, I go with the do what you actually enjoy method as then it actually gets done :smile:

Also, differing types of activity (and more specifically intensity) are going to impact on recovery and therefore can make it difficult to retain strength. So basically, keep your HIIT very brief if that is your thing otherwise longer LISS is the other option. (or a mixture)

I've found myself that LISS cardio doesn't impact strength anywhere near as much as HIIT so I ditched HIIT. (all on bike by the way)
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit type workout on some of my non lifting days but all my lifts are getting stronger, except my shoulders, they seem to be really slow to gain. I think that they would probably be improving faster without the xfit but I think that I would also be a lot fatter during this bulk (my first one ever). I never realised how hard it would be mentally to try and bulk, knowing you are going to get fatter is hard to deal with.
  • CamilleJackie350
    Options
    Yeah, I'd say that would fit in.

Personally for cardio, I go with the do what you actually enjoy method as then it actually gets done :smile:

Also, differing types of activity (and more specifically intensity) are going to impact on recovery and therefore can make it difficult to retain strength. So basically, keep your HIIT very brief if that is your thing otherwise longer LISS is the other option. (or a mixture)

I've found myself that LISS cardio doesn't impact strength anywhere near as much as HIIT so I ditched HIIT. (all on bike by the way)

interesting