Insanity - hip flexor/groin strain?

Options
I'm in my recovery week of insanity, and I think I pulled or overstretched a groin muscle. It's very painful to touch and twinges a bit when I walk. I can still walk and move around pretty much without pain, it's only when I touch the area or stretch it out that it hurts. It feels a bit lumpy as well.
Should I skip today's workout and rest instead, ice it and take it easy? Maybe just swim some laps in the pool to get moving?
And if I skip, do I push the program a day and still do all 6 recovery videos, or is it okay to just miss one, since it's only the recovery week? I'd hate to have to stop insanity this far into it, but I also don't want to risk serious injury.

I'm on vacation so I can't go see my doctor until next week if the problem doesn't resolve itself.

Replies

• KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Has nobody else experienced something similar with insanity? I could really use the feedback :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Try a plyometric jump side to side. If you feel it doing those, then you should definitely lay off exercise until it's healed. Sorry, but groin injuries can end up being chronically painful (even just walking) if you don't let it heal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KatrineJensen
    Options
    Thank you for answering - I took the day off yesterday and iced my hip flexor, and today I did my workout and felt better. I don't feel it when working out, strangely enough, not even during plyometrics. But it's still sore to the touch (and weirdly lumpy) and hurts when I do hip flexor stretches. I think I'll go ahead with the workouts but be really careful. And definitely make sure that the pain is gone before I start month 2 of insanity.
  • DominiqueRobinson28
    DominiqueRobinson28 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    call your doctor it may be something more serious if you feel pain whenever you touch the area
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    The lump could be a possible femoral hernia.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KatrineJensen
    Options
    The lump could be a possible femoral hernia.

I'm doubtful, as it's not A lump as such, but just a slightly swollen and uneven area. But I'll definitely be careful with it, and I just called my doctor so I can get it checked out. Thanks for the advice!