Screw protein

Options
2»

Replies

• almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your fitness goals. The regular, average person needs nowhere near 1g/lb of body weight.

But of course if you're trying to build muscle, you're not trying to be just average ;)

Nah, at this point its all about staying lean!!

If your goal is to maintain then I don't know where you got the idea from that you need 1gb/lb.

There's not even any science behind 1g/lb for actually building muscle, let alone maintaining.

The last time I bothered to look into it, depending on the study, the amount of protein needed to maintain ranged from a third of that to less than half.

Here's just a few studies to give you an idea:

"Lean body mass (density) was maintained in bodybuilders consuming 1.05 g protein.kg-1.day-1. Endurance athletes excreted more total daily urea than either bodybuilders or controls. We conclude that bodybuilders during habitual training require a daily protein intake only slightly greater than that for sedentary individuals in the maintenance of lean body mass and that endurance athletes require daily protein intakes greater than either bodybuilders or sedentary individuals to meet the needs of protein catabolism during exercise."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3356636

See that? 1.05g per KILOGRAM

Here's another:

"Knowing that the habitual protein intake of a strength athlete is on average 2 g/kg body weight per day (54), it is safe to say that whether novice or advanced, protein requirements for maintaining and/or gaining LBM are being met. Evidence has clearly shown that actual protein requirements for strength training are significantly lower at 1.2 g/kg body weight per day for advanced and 1.5–1.7 g/kg body weight per day for novice (31,32,43,57,59)."

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Fulltext/2012/10000/Protein_Requirements_for_Strength_Training.14.aspx

My original goal was to build muscle and cut... I was making a point that I am at maintenance now and will not need the protein intake I was doing before
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There have been several studies since the 80s that show that you need .55g/1lb of lean body mass. Once they went lower, their performance suffered.

Excessive protein intake and low carb intake will flush out water weight. When you re-add carbs you "puff out" due to water retention (and sodium if you're consuming loads of that)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    There have been several studies since the 80s that show that you need .55g/1lb of lean body mass. Once they went lower, their performance suffered.

Excessive protein intake and low carb intake will flush out water weight. When you re-add carbs you "puff out" due to water retention (and sodium if you're consuming loads of that)

while it's true that a low carb diet will reduce the water weight in your body and eating more carbs will make it return, it's actually a good thing to have more of this water in your system. It's stored along with glycogen in your muscles and liver, and it is your body's short term energy reserve (fat is the long term energy reserve). Depleting your glycogen stores =/= flushing out water weight (it reduces water weight but the emotive use of the term "flush out" suggests that this water is bad and unwanted... it's not). Replenishing your glycogen stores =/= puffing out. You may see a small size and firmness increase in your muscles when they're storing more glycogen. Most people consider that this makes the muscle look more "toned" and therefore improves the look of the human body. Quite a few women freak out about it, thinking that they;re "bulking up" but it's not that they don't like how it looks right now, they think they'll get the same increase every time the work out (they won't, because it's not muscle growth). Glycogen storage in the liver doesn't change your appearance at all.

Anyway, carbohydrate is good for you, and having more glycogen in your system is a good thing.

Sodium water weight gains can be harmful if they are excessive (e.g. it can cause raised blood pressure) - for most people, a little extra sodium won't do much harm. It's a good idea not to consume high levels of sodium constantly, especially where there's a family history of heart disease or high blood pressure. But too little sodium can also be harmful, so people shouldn't be afraid of sodium... you need to find a happy medium with sodium, as you do with fat and carbs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Try beer:

3cd9aad0-26ed-4513-96df-f3c920a3430e_zps45e06abc.png

I'm kind of adoring this new add on to the app- I get so confused when they tell me my ice cream has protein in it- or whatever the hell it says- it's hysterical.
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It's not very difficult to get your protein in forms other than powder. Dead animals of any type, cheese, eggs, good quality protein bars etc.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Isn't it 1 gram of protein for each pound of LBM (not bodyweight)?

Correct.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    It's not very difficult to get your protein in forms other than powder. Dead animals of any type, cheese, eggs, good quality protein bars etc.

Does protein only form in animals after they die?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    But think of all the calories you'll burn screwing....

:glasses:

I'm sure you would know all about that :wink: :laugh:

Congrats!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I guess I'd give it to a t-bone but I'd have to warm it up first.....
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Does protein only form in animals after they die?

Good point. Chasing after the animals to eat them while they are still alive would be a good cardio burn as well. Win/win!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Try beer:

3cd9aad0-26ed-4513-96df-f3c920a3430e_zps45e06abc.png

I could use a 288 Oz pint lol

LOL so could I tonight!

I don't think getting a 1g/lb of bodyweight is necessary. I have been going by 1 g/lb of lean body mass, and that is PLENTY. Of course if you're bodybuilding it might be another matter entirely.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I am sick of powder.... I am almost sick of consuming 1g per lb of body weight

It's 1g per lb of lean body weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am sick of powder.... I am almost sick of consuming 1g per lb of body weight

It's 1g per lb of lean body weight.

This and the only reason I am using powder atm is because of fruit smoothies in the morning...otherwise spring/fall and winter I get it all in with regular food...usually 120g a day on 2k or less calories...easy peasy...just gotta get creative.

Lobster is great for it, shrimp in eggs...