Lactose free cake?

Options
Okay, let me start by saying that this post is asking about Betty Crocker's cake mix. Processed sugar, white flour and loaded with preservatives... The Horror!! But it's for my best friends birthday, and that only comes around once a year so no need to judge.
Anyways, she's (slightly) lactose intolerant but nothing too serious. The cake mix says it contains 2% or less of milk. As someone who doesn't have any allergies, I'm not quite sure if that's a lot. If she can have a couple of chocolates and be fine (which she has done many times) then a few slices of this cake shouldn't hurt, right? Unfortunately I can't ask her because the cake's a surprise, but it would be nice if the surprise didn't cause her to have her head in the toilet all night!
Anyways, if someone had any insights on (slight) intolerances, your advice would be appreciated!
Thanks

Replies

• oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Why not just make a cake from scratch? Most recipes don't include milk.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have a slight lactose intolerance and I'd be perfectly fine with that. It really is traces, rather than a real presence.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Why not just make a cake from scratch? Most recipes don't include milk.

Because I know how much she loves this cake! But since she "discovered" her lactose intolerance, I'm not sure if she can have it... But if she can, I'd much prefer to make this since it is (used to be?) her favourite!
  • LadyTalulah
    Options
    I have a slight lactose intolerance and I'd be perfectly fine with that. It really is traces, rather than a real presence.
    Awesome, thanks! That's the kind of insight I was looking for!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks! That's the kind of insight I was looking for!
    I would be careful I know people that the slightest 'trace' can effect them. It it worth risking and making her day miserable?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Why can't she take lactase enzyme? It's an over-the-counter drug for people who can't digest lactose. The most common brand is 'lactaid.' I'm very lactose intolerant. A small piece of cake wouldn't require a pill, but gobs of cream cheese frosting would do me in (yummmm).
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and I would eat a slice of cake like this and it wouldn't upset me. But I might not eat the icing. But I don't really like creamy stuff so maybe that's just me.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    a much better idea is get her some lactase pills, they put the enzymes in you're stomach that you're missing (which is what causes the intolerance)

get her a bottle of those for about £10 and the cake and watch her throw the cake in the bin because now she can eat Ice cream!
  • 204oak
    204oak Posts: 3
    Options
    and here I was going to suggest a watermelon cake.... all great answers everyone... and kuddos on your losses... I'm impressed... now to get my own butt off this couch and do something active.... anyone got a big stick to stand beside me and wave at me?
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just use lactose free milk. It's the Lactaid brand in most grocery stores.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm LI and I would eat it. I'd probably take a lactase pill just to be safe but I would eat it.

Mmm. Cake.
  • LadyTalulah
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Didn't even know about the pills, you learn something new every day!