Dirty vegetables

2»

Replies

• LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    MMMmmmm I remember picking tomatoes right out of my garden, wiping them on my shirt and eating them...I ain't dead yet!!
  • I just give my potatoes a quick rinse under the tap
  • It's perfectly fine if it's Organic. If not, I'd peel it cause you're not getting just dirt.

Pesticides and herbicides enter through the skin of the vegetables. Peeling it doesnt help much. A little bit wont kill ya

^^^This.. scrubbing and or peel a veggie does NOT remove pesticides or herbicides.. just removes dirt, and as many have said.. dirt wont kill you..a good soak and wipe down with a new sponge and your good to go :drinker:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Load the spuds and carrots into so much boiling water or an oven and let them cook. Problem solved.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Load the spuds and carrots into so much boiling water or an oven and let them cook. Problem solved.
    spuds ok, but why would I ruin carrots by cooking them :p
  • Depends who grew them and where....from my own garden I yank them out and eat them dirt and all....little rub in the grass and good to go. From a supermarket, I'd probably get rid of the dirt cuz I don't know where it came from.

This. Especially if the food isn't organic. Dirt holds onto pesticides/herbicides.

Organic farmers are allowed to use pesticides. Unless you know your grower personally, there is no guarantee that your produce has been grown without pesticides or other chemicals. It's a point to consider, given the substantially higher cost of organic foods.
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    It's perfectly fine if it's Organic. If not, I'd peel it cause you're not getting just dirt.

Pesticides and herbicides enter through the skin of the vegetables. Peeling it doesnt help much. A little bit wont kill ya
    That may be some true, to some extent but hopefully we're eating more than "a little bit" and a daily dose may very well kill ya ;-)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    A little dirt never hurt anyone. I just hate when it crunches between my teeth *shudder*
    ugh I know! I will straight up spit out my food when that happens. And don't let me get started about eating at the beach...
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    It doesn't bother me. I always eat the skin of a sweet potato and I don't over wash my mushrooms.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    When I bring my fruit and veg home, I fill up the sink with cold water and add 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 2 tbsp of salt and just let them sit for 20-30 minutes. Rinse and dry them and they're ready to go for when you need them. I find they also last a little longer, too.

Vinegar and baking soda works really well too.

I'm just curious, can you taste any residual vinegar when you do this?
    Nope, I just rinse them off when done & eat. If anything, it makes them taste better. i generally do this with all my fruits & vegetables (except one I don't the peel - bananas, pineapple).
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Do you use a vegetable brush? Invaluable if you eat fresh picked produce!
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Pesticides and fertilisers are unavoidable. However, the quantity that you injest will never accumulate to being dangerous in your life time. Not like mercury for instance. They are more dangerous getting into deep drainage and runoff where they affect catchment ecosystems etc... but not in our food generally.