Does everyone lose their hair?

Options
2»

Replies

• tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    :frown: I have the same problem, but I don't think for me it is because I am not eating good food, mebe not enough, but I sure am trying I'm just full. Let us know what happens in the future with the vitamins.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You started in January.

So, that's at most 26 weeks you've been doing this.

You've lost 71 lbs so far.

That's a minimum of 2.7 lbs per week. TOO FAST!

I'd be willing to bet you're malnurished and your body is starting to suffer because of it. EAT MORE whole foods, get more calories in, at least 500 more calories every day, and slow down your weight loss. You didn't gain 71 lbs in 26 weeks, why would you try to lose it in 26 weeks?
  • infinitevast
    infinitevast Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't feel like I'm malnourished but it does seem that I should get myself checked out just to rule any other issues out. I appreciate everyone's input. The hair loss is so extreme it can be quite alarming at times. Doctor here I come!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    No, I don't work out. I am on my feet for about 8 hours a day though. I run child care out of my home and they can be very demanding at times :)

your ticker says you're at goal... shouldnt you be eating at maintenance, not 1200 cals?

With this informatin, I'm going to guess you're 25, 5'6" and weigh 150 lbs.

If that's the case, if you're on your feet 8 hours every day, and you're eating maintenance, you should be eating 2000+ calories EVERY DAY. You're at an 800 calorie deficit. EAT MORE.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Yep. But mine was from stress overload & not from dieting. I do take the hair/skin/nails vitamin that GNC puts out. It helps.
  • TinyBriony91
    Options
    If you are worried, see your doctor. Though if it helps, my hair comes out in masses every time I brush my hair or wash it or pretty much do anything! It is everywhere, my partner is always picking it up from around our flat. It has been happening for years and years, and I have an absolute lion's mane of hair lol. x
  • infinitevast
    infinitevast Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    No, I don't work out. I am on my feet for about 8 hours a day though. I run child care out of my home and they can be very demanding at times :)

your ticker says you're at goal... shouldnt you be eating at maintenance, not 1200 cals?

I just reached that initial goal this past week. I am starting a new goal now of a 30 more pound loss.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Often hair loss is noticed about two to three months after the triggering cause, so you might want to look back three months on what medication you were taking, your stress level, and your diet.

http://www.webmd.com/beauty/hair-health-11/hair-stress-effect?page=2
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You need to set adequate calorie and macro goals, especially fat goals. As a woman, our hormones are heavily regulated by fats and if you're not getting enough, you can lose your hair. You should be running your numbers after every 5-10 pounds lost. The closer you are to goal, the closer you should be getting to your maintenance calories. Check this out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Have your Doctor check your thyroid. Meanwhile take a good multivitamin and eat more protein.
  • Malgorzata79
    Malgorzata79 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The same has happened to me. I'm definitely not malnourished and I feel like I eat MUCH better than I used to because now I actually eat veggies and fruits and that never used to happen. My hair has gotten MUCH thinner to the point where it's starting to worry me. I've even tried taking a biotin supplement and I haven't really seen a difference. Sorry I can't help but you're not alone because it's happeneing to me too! I've lost around 60 pounds (had lost close to 90 at my lowest last year but put some back on and am just now coming back to get it off and keep heading in the right direction).

This has happened to me as well. Biotin didn't do anything for me. I went to the doctor, actually 3 doctors and all of them said its due to weight loss. It makes me now want to continue losing weight because the more weight you lose, the more hair you lose.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    You started in January.

So, that's at most 26 weeks you've been doing this.

You've lost 71 lbs so far.

That's a minimum of 2.7 lbs per week. TOO FAST!

I'd be willing to bet you're malnurished and your body is starting to suffer because of it. EAT MORE whole foods, get more calories in, at least 500 more calories every day, and slow down your weight loss. You didn't gain 71 lbs in 26 weeks, why would you try to lose it in 26 weeks?

Basically this.

The fastest weight loss I have had in my loss of 128 lb was 69 lb in 12 months and I did not have any unusual hair loss - obviously everyone is different but I am very inclined to think the loss is too fast for OP's body and her calories too low.

Personally, I prefer to lose more slowly without unwanted "side effects". At one point I was getting dark spots on my cuticles from a vitamin deficiency when I was close to my goal but still trying to lose 1.5 per week. I reset to 1 lb per week and watched my vitamins more carefully, increased fruits/veg, and the problem disappeared.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hello. Started my weight loss journey back in January and have lost 71 pounds so far. For the past couple of months I've started noticing a LOT of hair loss. When I shower, brush or do anything to it. I'm always pulling what feels like handfuls out. It's not usual for me. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same or if it's even related to the weight loss? Thanks!

Go see a doctor and get tested. Everything else from people on here is just an assumption unless you've done some tests... and given them the results? I doubt it. Go to the doctor kiddo do the right thing, sitting around and asking online isn't going to help you.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You should definitely get tested to rule out any underlying medical causes. From a dietary standpoint, how much protein are you eating? Insufficient protein often causes hair loss. I've lost over 100 lbs and my stylist has commented that my hair is stronger and grows faster than every. I also aim for 130g to 170g of protein per day. The MFP protein macro should be viewed as a minimum.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1200-1250 calories a day. Rarely go under . I did go out and buy a multivitamin. I'm hoping this may help..

Yep. Malnutrition. You are not eating enough. Find your TDEE and eat just below that.