Smoothie No No's (ie: Papaya Overnight)

Options
Tingababoo
Tingababoo Posts: 51 Member
Hi All!

Ever since my husband purchased a Ninja Blender for me (*cough* "Us") for Xmas, we have become smoothie Fanatics! We make a different smoothie every NIGHT for BREAKFAST the NEXT MORNING and have tried all almost everything - ALMOST everything.

We've done the nuts (Almonds, Cashews, Sunfllower, etc)
We've done the Grains (Oatmeal, Steel Cut Oats, Chia Seeds, Flax, etc)
We've done the Veggies (Beets, Carrots, Celery, Kale, Spinach, Cucumbers, etc)
We've done the Milks (Cow, Almond, Soy, Yogurts)
AND
We've done the Fruits (Pears, Bananas, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Apples, Berries of all sorts, Passion Fruit, Mangos, Oranges, Peaches, Dates, Figs, Cherries,. etc)

But last night...
PAPAYA, Banana, Almond Milk, Yogurt, Spinach, Flax, Oatmeal

This Morning- a SOLID BRICK. No amount of shaking broke this up.
I Googled this and found this article: http://likecoffeeliketea.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/papaya-tofu/

So long story even longer... - Does anyone have any Smoothie No No's to Share?

IE:

SMOOTHIE NO NO's

- Do not use Papaya if you do not plan to consume immediately. It will solidify into one mass and you will need to eat with a spoon.
- Certain seeds are Harmful to you. Do not use in your Smoothie
http://nutribulletblog.com/sipping-seeds-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

Replies

• Tingababoo
    Tingababoo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No advice to avoid Smoothie Pitfalls?!

I had wished someone told me about Papaya becoming jello...
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've made papaya smoothies for years and never seen this happen...

Oh! I read the blog post - That only happens with dairy. You probably could have fixed it by adding a little more liquid and re-blending it.

And why are you making your smoothies the night before? I can understand putting the stuff in the blender the night before and then blending the next morning. The nutrients start to oxidize once you blend the fruits and vegetables.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I always have my smoothie as soon as it's made so haven't had the papaya issue.

I have learned though that spinach and fruit is good, red berries and other fruit are good, BUT spinach and red berries together taste fine but look awful - turns into a very unappealing muddy purple colour.

I only use water, never milk, and the one time I added protein powder I couldn't drink it. Maybe it was the brand of powder that was awful.
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I used unsweetened almond milk for my breakfast smoothie (pb, banana, protein powder, vanilla almond milk). I had been using sweetened almond milk, decided to switch to unsweetened. It had the consistency of very thick pudding.

I tried adding water to thin it out. NOTHING worked.