Spartan Race

Options
Has anyone ever participated in the Spartan Race? If so what do i need to do to prepare for it? its a 3 mile (Its in 2 months) .. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I knew for a month.. i procrastinated (1 Month) so now i have 2 months to prepare. It beats going unprepared!
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I ran it, and thought I was in decent shape. I finished in top 1/3 for my age bracket and couldn't sit down for a week was so sore. But I loved every minute of it, and if I didn't have shoulder surgery 7 weeks ago I would be doing it again. I would try to do some crossfit classes. In the spartan race if you fail to complete a challenge you are suppost to do 30 burpees before moving on, so even if you try and fail you do them. I think I did somewhere around 300 that day. So lots of jump lunges, squat jumps and burpees. I would do some hill trainings as well. I personally think tough mudder has nothing on a spartan event. So train hard and enjoy your self!!

Best of luck!
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Wow holy smokes!!! Better take out "instanity" at this rate!
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes, the sprint is easy. Just have fun and give it all you got during the hard part. If you're tired of doing burpees than stop and move on...no one is counting and burpees suck.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Yeah they sure do!
  • Filmval
    Filmval Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I did my first Spartan Race this past May...and let me tell you - it was INCREDIBLE!!!! Nothing compares to the feeling you get when you cross the finish line!!!

My recommendation (other than have a good team to keep you going and sunscreen - both a must!) would be to work on your cardio. The one in Montreal was on a huge mountain and the cardio helped to keep going (I was going hiking every other week end to prepare). Also, not sure about you, but my upper body strength is weak...so I failed a lot of the challenges to do with upper body muscle (climbing the rope, javelin etc). So if you can, work on that.

Most of all, have fun!!! And like others have said - take your time. My main goal I had was to finish - I didn`t care how long it took me, but my goal was to finish!!! Best of luck!!!!!!
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Hi there! I did my first Spartan Race this past May...and let me tell you - it was INCREDIBLE!!!! Nothing compares to the feeling you get when you cross the finish line!!!

My recommendation (other than have a good team to keep you going and sunscreen - both a must!) would be to work on your cardio. The one in Montreal was on a huge mountain and the cardio helped to keep going (I was going hiking every other week end to prepare). Also, not sure about you, but my upper body strength is weak...so I failed a lot of the challenges to do with upper body muscle (climbing the rope, javelin etc). So if you can, work on that.

Most of all, have fun!!! And like others have said - take your time. My main goal I had was to finish - I didn`t care how long it took me, but my goal was to finish!!! Best of luck!!!!!!

Sounds good i'll add a little weight lifting into my cardio - Perhaps some kickboxing too!.. thanks so much!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Hill sprints, burpees, pull ups, push ups. Or so I've heard. I'm doing my first one in October with a few people from here!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    If you go to a gym as your main exercise, I always recommend the elliptical with a high resistance or the treadmill on a high incline, cardio is key since the race will take 1.5-3 hours
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Thank you for all the wonderful tips! i will sure use them!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    WEAR SUNSCREEN!! (I forgot and ended up burnt - which just added to my misery the few days after - haha!)

Practice running up hills.
    Lift heavy things.
    Don't be afraid of the walls (people will help you and they get easier the more you do)
    Practice burpees. Burpees everyday. All the time. Right now... just get up and do some burpees.

I did my first one a week and a half ago. I was scared sh*tless, but it was SO awesome! I am SO glad I did it. I wore gloves and brought a camel pak. You will hear yeses and nos about those - but they helped me. One of my friends did it with another group. She didn't train at all. Like - no running, no exercising, nothing. And she managed to survive it! (I don't recommend doing that - but just saying slow and steady... )
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    What kind of gloves should i look into? I'm going to workout everyday!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I heard someone suggest getting sailing gloves - that are the neoprene gloves that dry easy and are light weight. I ended up just using my weight lifting gloves that I already had. They are padded on the palms - so that means when they got wet and muddy, I had to deal with that (though, the race I did really wasn't very muddy at all). But - when I had to do burpees on the hot pavement, I was so glad to have them. And when I had to hoist a mega heavy bag of wet sand with the rope and pully - I was glad I had gloves. And even going over the wall, the gloves were nice. On the other hand, some people say once theirs got wet, they had a hard time gripping things. Mine are like that sueded material and they never lost their grip. I am a wimp with my hands, though... I didn't want rope burn and I knew if there were monkey bars, I would be wimpy without gloves.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Thank you!
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Go to their website and sign up for the workout of the day. They're pretty varied and cover both cardio and strength geared specifically to the races....two months is plenty of time to train!
  • mg1147
    mg1147 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did a Spartan Sprint a couple of years ago and I took 3 months to prepare for it. The race is typically around 3.5-4 miles.

I ran about 3 miles 4-5 times a week and in conjunction took a 4 week boot camp class that ended 2 weeks before the race.

I recommend that you wear a pair of sneakers that you will never plan on wearing again. I destroyed a decent pair of sneakers and wasn't ready to! lol

Have fun, take your time, and make sure you get some weight training in. I was in pretty good shape in time for my race and it took me an hour and 20 minutes to finish (whereas a Warrior Dash typically takes me 40 minutes). So that should give you a pretty good idea of the difficulty level.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will do my research & do some training!
  • McMandy17
    McMandy17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for one in November and I'm excited but scared out of my wits!! Good luck on your training!
  • Bostonsoul
    Bostonsoul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've run 2 Spartan Beasts...and 2 tough muddders...if you want to push yourself, that is the way to go.
    But don't overestimate the Sprint...start now..run short bursts...sprints maybe then do some cross training exercises periodically.