5'6" SW 175 - 180. What was your path to success?

Options
susanbenita
susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
I'm really confused as to how many calories I should be eating to see a steady weight/fat loss of around 1.5lb a week.
I've always been a pretty healthy eater - and yes, by that, I also mean low-fat, which seems like such a dirty word these days! However, I eat plenty of fruit and veg, non-processed food, low-salt intake and make my own balanced meals, most of the time.

My weight issues in recent years have been caused by other issues - stress, lack of sleep, lack of exercise/motivation and a spiralling wine habit (oh, and I just hit 50!)

Now I'm taking back control but find myself in a world of diet confusion! High fat, high protein, low carb, TDEE-20% or 1200 cal, all different kinds of macros, etc, etc! My head is spinning!!!

I need to lose 40lbs (GW 138lbs)

My question is: with similar starting stats - what has worked for YOU? Over what time period? Age and height?

My idea is to do this:

My job is mostly sedentary (in front of a computer all day, no kids to run around after, but 3 nights I work in a restaurant)
Planning to eat approx 1750 cals a day
Macros 45 - 35 - 20
I've just started the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution (90-day workout) but, instead of the 2 Cardio days, I've decided to go for a 75 minute walk (5 miles) instead which burns 500 cals. The workouts burn 250 calls. Total exercise = 2000 cals a week burned.

Do this until I get close to goal and then start heavy lifting.

Does this sound like a plan?

Would love some feedback from some voices of experience out there!

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I would start by reading this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=getting+into+your+sexy+pants

It is one of if not the best post on a new healthy lifestyle.

I'm 5'6", 52 years old and started at 180, I've lost 44 lbs in 8 months. I run so I do that regularly, lately I've been running every day around 3 - 4 miles a day. Other exercises were T25, which I loved, I did alpha/beta/gamma and gamma hyrid. Three weeks ago I started Stronglifts 5x5 and wish I had started sooner. Don't wait to start lifting, you'll love it. I also eat back 50% of my exercise calories.

As far as eating, honestly I eat whatever I want as long as it fits my macros. I follow below for my macros:

- Protein: 1 gram per pound of body weight
    - Fat: .45 grams per pound of body weight
    - Carbs: The remaining number of calories left will be filled with carbs

Add me as a friend if you like. Good luck and remember it's a marathon not a sprint. Most of the people here are very helpful and have great advice.
  • susanbenita
    Options
    I would start by reading this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=getting+into+your+sexy+pants

It is one of if not the best post on a new healthy lifestyle.

I'm 5'6", 52 years old and started at 180, I've lost 44 lbs in 8 months. I run so I do that regularly, lately I've been running every day around 3 - 4 miles a day. Other exercises were T25, which I loved, I did alpha/beta/gamma and gamma hyrid. Three weeks ago I started Stronglifts 5x5 and wish I had started sooner. Don't wait to start lifting, you'll love it. I also eat back 50% of my exercise calories.

As far as eating, honestly I eat whatever I want as long as it fits my macros. I follow below for my macros:

- Protein: 1 gram per pound of body weight
    - Fat: .45 grams per pound of body weight
    - Carbs: The remaining number of calories left will be filled with carbs

Add me as a friend if you like. Good luck and remember it's a marathon not a sprint. Most of the people here are very helpful and have great advice.

Thank you, I have added you! That's a fantastic achievement in 8 months, well done! I would be very happy to achieve that.
    I used to love lifting years ago, but with my current work agenda I can't get to a gym. Hence the home workouts for now.
  • susanbenita
    Options
    Would anyone else care to share?
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6'' and started at 183 pounds. Honestly, consistency in both diet and exercise has been the key for me. I shoot for 1400 cals per day with 5 days of exercise per week (1 hour, 500 cal burn goal per session), this has allowed me to lose 1-1.5 pounds per week steadily (with a few plateaus thrown in for good measure).

Good luck! :smile:
  • susanbenita
    Options
    Ah, consistency! That has to be the key to success! Great advice.

One question - is your 1400 net? Do you eat a percentage of your 500 exercise cals back?

ETA: You look great, by the way, well done!
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Ah, consistency! That has to be the key to success! Great advice.

One question - is your 1400 net? Do you eat a percentage of your 500 exercise cals back?

ETA: You look great, by the way, well done!

Thanks!

For the most part I try not to eat back my calories, I do find that on weekends that I end up eating back 100-200 of them. If you are looking to hit 1.5 per week lost then it's important to not eat them back otherwise you just slow down the process.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and have maintained my weight loss for 7 years - I will be 51 next month. I started at 188 and lost about 50 lbs in about 3 months (I was not using MFP and did not count calories). I currently eat about 1450 cals a day (based on TDEE and my own experience). I don't factor working out in any fashion because I always exercise - but food - it can sometimes go offside.

My biggest tip - other than honestly logging your food (it's tougher after 45-50) is weight training. I lost my weight only doing cardio and ended up a size 10 - after I started weight training I have a maintained a size 4 - 6. I almost exclusively do weights with cardio just for stess relief (I like it). I work out at home so I have no excuses (and it's cheaper!).

There is no magic diet or work out. You need to be honest and consistent and eat whatever you want in the correct portions....I just spent a week living almost exclusively on beer and only gained 1kg - which will be gone by Friday....:drinker:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and have maintained my weight loss for 7 years - I will be 51 next month. I started at 188 and lost about 50 lbs in about 3 months (I was not using MFP and did not count calories). I currently eat about 1450 cals a day (based on TDEE and my own experience). I don't factor working out in any fashion because I always exercise - but food - it can sometimes go offside.

My biggest tip - other than honestly logging your food (it's tougher after 45-50) is weight training. I lost my weight only doing cardio and ended up a size 10 - after I started weight training I have a maintained a size 4 - 6. I almost exclusively do weights with cardio just for stess relief (I like it). I work out at home so I have no excuses (and it's cheaper!).

There is no magic diet or work out. You need to be honest and consistent and eat whatever you want in the correct portions....I just spent a week living almost exclusively on beer and only gained 1kg - which will be gone by Friday....:drinker:

Awesome job maintaining! BTW love the tattoo.

I'm lucky to have a gym here at work that is free and usually empty :smile:
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    thanks skippygirlsmom, I love my tattoo as well :)

As for maintaining, I find it easier as the years go by. I know what I love (to eat) and make sure it all fits in. I only started tracking on this app about a year ago out of curiosity and I find it very informative and helpful. I hate to admit that it gets tougher as you get older but it's science - but a tweak here and there with the knowledge from this app makes it easy to carry on.

If you want it, it will happen.