Help please!

Options
pjb58
pjb58 Posts: 100 Member
I am experiencing terrible dizziness while weight training. Not using extremely heavy weights, by some standards, but gradually heavier as I get stronger. We work for 1 1/2 to 2 hours 3-days a week, starting off with lighter circuit-training type exercise and work into heavy duty work-out.
I do have borderline low blood pressure so I realize this may be a factor. How can I combat that naturally?
I have tried eating protein bars. 20-30g.(Before I didn't eat at all), and making sure I am drinking water during work-out. It's not helping.
Someone suggested to me that it is low sodium, but when I take in a lot of salt I get bloated and sluggish.
Any and all wisdom would be appreciated. I don't want to stop because I enjoy my time in the gym, but something needs to give.
Thank you

Replies

• jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The dizziness could be caused by low blood sugar, especially if you are burning a large amount of calories. If you are training intensely for 1.5-2 hours there is a good chance you're depleting the glycogen in your muscles. Try sipping on a gatorade or something similiar for a little extra sugar/carbs during.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It is likely due to lack of calories. I know it seems counter productive o eat more but if you are working out every day you should be eating around 1500-1600 calories a day. Also you should be drinking alot of water throughout the day to help stabilize your blood pressure before your workout. Finally i know it sounds stupid but while lifting weights we naturally tend to want to hold our breath while struggling, focus on breathing while lifting and that should help as well. If you have any more questions feel free to message me I would be happy to help!
  • amarie878
    amarie878 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try a banana an hour/half hour before your workout. If its almost 2 hours long, maybe throw in a spoonful of peanut butter and a cracker or two. I've found that a banana is the perfect preworkout meal for me. Save the protein for afterwards to help your muscles recover (maybe a protein shake would be better after instead of a bar - less calories).
  • Bilby1978
    Bilby1978 Posts: 8
    Options
    I drink BCAA 15 minutes before my workouts..then I sip water throughout workout. I used to have the same problem - this was the fix for me.
  • pjb58
    Options
    what is BCAA?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    In addition to possible nutrition/dehydration issues, it could be your breathing. Make sure you're not holding your breath while strength training. It can be a fairly common reaction, especially when poshing hard but it's a good way to become dizzy and risk injury. Also, if this keeps happening, make sure you consult your doc.
  • pjb58
    Options
    Can you explain, please, what glycogen is? I cannot stand gatorade; is there anything else I could try in its place?
  • pjb58
    Options
    A physical exam is on the agenda already.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Glycogen is form of stored sugar - usually blood sugar but can also be stored in muscle tissue.

If you don't want to drink something with sugar in it, maybe eat a natural sugar source before working out like a banana or a sweet potato.
  • pjb58
    Options
    Never mind, sorry, I am perfectly capable of looking up BCAA. Gotta do my own work!
    Thanks for the input, all.
  • camillecalmbach
    Options
    Eat carbs. Complex carbs
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Your diary is locked so we can't see if your calorie intake is adequate. Try eating at maintenance on strength training days or the day after. Have a little snack before you lift and protein after. Make sure you're drinking enough water. It could be iron or glucose levels or holding your breath. This is all assuming you are not severely restricting your calories. Hope you get it resolved quickly.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    A few things.

Heavy is relative. Heavy to you is all that matters in the context of this conversation.

I do the low blood pressure thing as well. One quick way to know if this is a factor.....

Is is mainly happening on movements when you change your visual plane? For example, does it happen on dead lifts and squats more often than on benches, where your head is stationary?

If so, the low blood pressure is probably factoring into a situation that already challenges your blood pressure. Breathing really is a factor. I know for me I have to make a point of releasing a bit of air at the top each dead lift rep to sort of keep my head pressurized. And every time I finish a set of deads or squats I do NOT stand up right away. I've just gotten in the habit of staying down, usually on one knee, for a count of three before standing up. Makes all the difference in the world.
  • fitbus
    fitbus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same issue lately. While doing some research I ran into this forum. I keep running across the BCAA suggestion. I always eat at least 1 hour before my hour long strength training workout. Carbs and protein. But according to some of the stuff I have read. BCAA fuel muscles much more quickly......Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one? Thanks