Tennis Shoes for Runners

Options
So I have been running with the same tennis shoes for about four years now...

I am getting more serious about running long distances (5k for now) and figured it was past time to get new tennis shoes.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. If your current shoes felt good and worked for you....get the same model.
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options
    Do NOT wear tennis shoes for running. They are not made for the movement. Tennis shoes are made for the side to side running that a tennis player does and running shoes are made for the forward movement. If you don't want to screw up your legs then go to a running store -- NOT a sporting goods store! -- and get a gait analysis and get yourself into the right RUNNING shoes.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Get running shoes for running. The clues in the name.
  • ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Running sneakers should be replaced every 6 months or 500 miles. Which ever comes first. I usually replace mine after training for a 1/2 marathon and then running which logs just about 600km's during training. As suggested go to a running store and get fitted with the correct sneakers which will end up being a bigger size then you think you wear.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Get running shoes now. Preferrably at a store staffed by runners. You build a house on a good foundation. You build a good running regiment on good shoes!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to go to a running store and try on a bunch of shoes. The best ones for me might suck for you. They cost the same whether you try on one pair or ten, so try on a bunch. Worth the time.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I assume you are saying tennis shoes in the generic sense (growing up, all athletic shoes were called tennis shoes where I lived). I agree with the previous post. The best thing I did was to go to our local running store (Fleet Feet in the Columbus Ohio area) where they put me on a treadmill and watched how I walked & jogged. They also asked a lot of questions about how far I wanted to run (e.g., for me I'm happy with a 5k and no more), how many miles a week I train, do I cross-train, etc. I also have an issue with arthritis in my toe joints, so they knew I needed a little more support in that area. They brought out 3 different brands of shoes for me to try and explained why they chose those particular shoes, from which I selected the pair that felt the best on my foot. Well worth the extra money.

By the way, if you take up running seriously, you should have new shoes I believe at least every 6 months (don't quote me on that!), but it really depends upon how many miles you put on them. After a while, the support in the shoes will wear down.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I assume you are saying tennis shoes in the generic sense (growing up, all athletic shoes were called tennis shoes where I lived). I agree with the previous post. The best thing I did was to go to our local running store (Fleet Feet in the Columbus Ohio area) where they put me on a treadmill and watched how I walked & jogged. They also asked a lot of questions about how far I wanted to run (e.g., for me I'm happy with a 5k and no more), how many miles a week I train, do I cross-train, etc. I also have an issue with arthritis in my toe joints, so they knew I needed a little more support in that area. They brought out 3 different brands of shoes for me to try and explained why they chose those particular shoes, from which I selected the pair that felt the best on my foot. Well worth the extra money.

By the way, if you take up running seriously, you should have new shoes I believe at least every 6 months (don't quote me on that!), but it really depends upon how many miles you put on them. After a while, the support in the shoes will wear down.

That is my thought as well when the OP was saying tennis shoes. Growing up all regular shoes were basically called tennis shoes so that was what I based my recommendation on.
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options

That is my thought as well when the OP was saying tennis shoes. Growing up all regular shoes were basically called tennis shoes so that was what I based my recommendation on.

I just call them "sneakers". I've never known anyone to call a pair of shoes tennis shoes if that's not what they were.
  • cdickens13
    cdickens13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes where I grew up all athletic shoes were refered to as tennis shoes as well. I mean I need atheltic shoes intended for running.
  • cdickens13
    cdickens13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I say "tennis shoes" I mean all athletic shoes. Growing up all atheletic shoes were refered to as tennis shoes (different part of the country i guess).

That being said, obviously I am going to get running shoes. I was just seeing if anybody had a brand preference/what I need to check for in running shoes/etc.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    When I were a kid .... we ALWAYS used Plimsoles (Daps) for everything - There were the Minilalist shoes of their day!! and cheaper!!

Then the money making machine revved up and started to convince us that we needed 'better' more EXPENSIVE shoes to run in .PAH

They produced a better (more expensive) version every single year and laughed all the way to the bank.... Then came the New Minimalist 'revolution' and cheaper shoes could be found again .. BUT.... wouldn't you know it, the Machine started marketing minimalist shoes and the price started to climb ... Oh what a shock!!

Bottom line ..... Find something that YOU are comfortable in (and four years in tennis shoes - should tell you something!!) and stick with them before the Machine finds out and starts to market them at you too!!

R4301small.jpg

My Shoes (BTW - Never had 'Gait Anaysis' and never had a problem from shoes!)

CURRENT SHOES Distance (Km)
    Inov-8 Trailroc 235-14s (411.8) (off road)
    Inov-8 Bare-X 180 (353.8) (road)

RETIRED SHOES
    Mizuno Wave Musha 2 (349.0)
    Mizuno Wave Musha 2 (528.6)
    Brooks Pure Drift 2 (290.1) <- The uppers wore through on these!!!!
    Mizuno Wave Musha 3 (157.0)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Funny how different words are used for the same thing in different parts of the country. I was born in CT and there we called them "sneakers." I moved to Arizona in my teens and here almost everyone calls them "tennis shoes." OP, when you go to the shoe store be sure to specific "running shoes." :wink:

I agree with going specifically to a running store and have them evaluate your gait and foot form. The little extra money you'll spend on a pair of good shoes will be more than worth it. Once you know if you pronote, overpronate or are neutral, etc. you can often find shoes online for less. You can also have the store staff recommend last year's models, if they have them, if money is an object.
  • heybebe88
    heybebe88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I just call them "sneakers". I've never known anyone to call a pair of shoes tennis shoes if that's not what they were.

It's a regional dialect thing! The link below is quiz that asks you a bunch of questions about what words / phrases you use and how you pronounce things and guesses (pretty accurately, IMO) where you're from. One of the questions (it's randomized, so the same questions don't always show up) is:

What is your *general* term for the rubber-soled shoes worn in gym class, for athletic activities, etc.?
    a. sneakers (45.50%)
    b. shoes (1.93%)
    c. gymshoes (5.55%)
    d. sand shoes (0.03%)
    e. jumpers (0.01%)
    f. tennis shoes (41.34%)
    g. running shoes (1.42%)
    h. runners (0.17%)
    i. trainers (0.23%)
    j. I have no general word for this (0.89%)
    k. other (2.95%)

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0
    http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_73.html
  • mrose77
    mrose77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just like different brands and styles of jeans fit on your body differently, different brands and styles of shoes fit on your feet differently. If you don't have foot problems or are not an avid athlete then you probably haven't noticed it much. I have foot problems so I wear inserts that I can put into any shoe. I don't run, I walk, so cross trainers in brands like Nike, Saucony, New Balance and Asics work well for me. I know a few avid runners and each one is partial to a different brand including the readily available brands I mentioned at shoe, sports and dept stores to specialty brands like Brooks. If you're wanting to do it right, go to a running store that will put you on a treadmill as others have mentioned. If you can't afford what they have (I sure can't!), most are kind enough to give you good information to get a reasonably priced pair from a retail chain. They know if you get a good start you will will keep with it and likely be back in their store. I can also back up the "every 6 months with moderate to heavy use" rule of thumb. The technology, particularly in the mid-sole, breaks down because it's doing it's job. A shoe can still look nearly new, but it's the part you can't see that will hurt you in the long run...literally. GOOD LUCK!
  • vickiem74
    vickiem74 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Find a store in your area that specializes in running shoes. They will help you get the right shoe for your gait.