Losing Weight While Lifting Weights

Options
13»

Replies

• AdieEve
    AdieEve Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I would love to meet with a dietician but do not have the insurance to cover it. Perhaps I'll inquire about rates and see if I can afford some out-of-pocket visits.

As for my macros, I feel like I've been doing really well, particularly with protein. I always get at least 100 grams per day, often more. I am very thorough about weighing and tracking my foods.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the breastfeeding is why my calorie goal is not lower than 2000. I figured that counts as my "calorie cut" and that I'm burning an additional 300-500 calories a day. If I weren't breastfeeding I would certainly aim for a greater deficit.

I think you are on a good track then. I'm not sure how long you want to breastfeed but, IMO, anything that makes it easier to stick with it (i.e., not being overly hungry) is key.
  • Trinehar13
    Trinehar13 Posts: 19
    Options
    For me personally, I lift 2-3 days a week and I haven't noticed weight going down because of it. However, adding more cardio and eating better made the scale drop down. Lifting has only allowed me to lose inches.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    Great post and great replies. Thank you. I'm learning a lot as well.

ditto
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    In the last five weeks, I've lost 10 pounds. I began lifting weights about the same time. The weights I lift now are generally at least 50 % heavier than when I started. People can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time.

It's my understanding that gaining muscle is generally more difficult when one is losing weight. However, is doing so is useful: Even if you don't gain muscle, lifting will tend to keep you from losing much muscle.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In the last five weeks, I've lost 10 pounds. I began lifting weights about the same time. The weights I lift now are generally at least 50 % heavier than when I started. People can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time.

It's my understanding that gaining muscle is generally more difficult when one is losing weight. However, is doing so is useful: Even if you don't gain muscle, lifting will tend to keep you from losing much muscle.

Getting stronger does not equal gain in muscle mass.
  • greeneyes972
    Options
    To figure out your calories, figure out your TDEE and lower your calories from there.

You can do TDEE - 10/15/20% or TDEE - X calories

TDEE calculators:
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

ETA: So you should be aiming to lose 1lb/week since you have 35lbs left to lose. So TDEE - 500 calories should work.

TDEE all the way, girlfriend!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Getting stronger does not equal gain in muscle mass.

^listen to this guy.

I lost 53 lbs while weightlifting and gained considerable amount of strength from my existing muscle, it helped me retain the muscles I had when I started which left me leaner at goal weight and I'm able to eat a bit more than most people my stats to boot.

Make sure you're not being too aggressive with your deficit, get a good amount of protein, lift and win!
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Great post and great replies. Thank you. I'm learning a lot as well.

ditto
    [/quote

:heart:
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't completely agree with the idea that you can't gain muscle and lose weight at the same time, because I myself have lost fat and gained muscle in the same week. Your body is probably adjusting, as it's only been a week. If you work hard in a week as far as weights go but don't lose weight or even gain weight, you're most likely gaining muscle, which is awesome. The more muscle (or lean mass) you have, the more you burn naturally.

Also, fun fact, you will keep burning calories up to two hours after a cardio session. Even better, you'll keep burning calories up to TWO DAYS after a strength training workout. So keep it up!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't completely agree with the idea that you can't gain muscle and lose weight at the same time, because I myself have lost fat and gained muscle in the same week. Your body is probably adjusting, as it's only been a week. If you work hard in a week as far as weights go but don't lose weight or even gain weight, you're most likely gaining muscle, which is awesome. The more muscle (or lean mass) you have, the more you burn naturally.

Also, fun fact, you will keep burning calories up to two hours after a cardio session. Even better, you'll keep burning calories up to TWO DAYS after a strength training workout. So keep it up!

How do you know you gained muscle mass.

Muscle is hard to gain, even at a surplus, and should not expect more than 2 lbs/month.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

It is very difficult for women to gain muscle, it takes a lot more work for women to do so than men. A woman is not going to do it eating at a deficit.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Okay, so if I am to continue weight lifting (and strengthening the muscles I have while not necessarily gaining new muscle), what on earth should my calorie goal be to lose the weight I need to lose?

You're hung up on how weight lifting should affect your calories, for some reason. Don't be.

Figure out your TDEE, eat less than that, exercise (weight lifting, yoga, whatever), and you'll lose. The muscle you gain will be mostly irrelevant to your weight loss/gain for many, many months.

As your weight changes, find your new TDEE and adjust your diet accordingly.

When/if the time comes that you want to put on more muscle and you've lost enough fat that you're happy, then readjust your diet so that you're eating a surplus. Chances are that'll be 12 months or more from now, and by then you'll be comfortable with all this.