Fast walk versus slow jog

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Is the calorie burn (or other health benefits) any different for a 4mph fast walk or a 4mph slow jog?

It will be higher for the jog. Running burns roughly double the net calories of walking, for equivalent distance.

And HRMs do not give accurate burn estimates for activities like walking - they significantly over-estimate.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The calculators used to estimate the energy cost of running are only valid at speeds greater than 5 mph. Under that, there is too much variation in running style to use a general equation. So calculators and sites like mapmyrun that are using speed to estimate calories will not be reliable (and that includes runners world).

It is likely that running at those lower speeds will burn fractionally more calories than walking, but the difference will not be as great as at faster speeds.

However, if you like running, or it motivates you, or you want to really increase aerobic fitness, then run away. Eventually you will get faster and then the burn will increase more substantially.
  • heybebe88
    heybebe88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/366236-does-walking-burn-more-fat-than-jogging/

"Another study published in the Journal of "Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness" found that during walking and jogging at the same speed over the same distance, walkers burned as much or more energy than joggers."

"An article published in "The Physician and Sports Medicine" noted that moderate-intensity activity such as easy jogging has a higher rate of fat oxidation than low-intensity walking. But walking at higher intensities may result in similar fat-burning activity."
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Not going by statistics or any articles or anything, my personal experience is that I have 3 dogs that I have been walking for years at a decent speed and an average of 60 / 90 minute walks each time. I started jogging about 3 months ago. I go slow for about 35 / 40 minutes each time. Since then I have noticed a lot less fat on my body. So for me, jogging is better, even if it's a slower pace.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy, at our level of just enjoying it there won't be huge differences between brisk walk and running, if you enjoy running (regardless of the pace, it doesn't matter if it's a 6 min mile or a 16 min mile, it's still a mile), then run, it's good cardiovasicular workout, you get out of breath but that improves over time (I still can't breath properly for the first 4 miles and struggle to maintain a jog for that difference, after 4 miles I seem to find my stride and off I go), most beginner running apps are walk/jog intervals starting off really easy and working up to running for an hour at a time.

They only thing I would advise, is that if you want to run, go and get fitted at a proper running shop for the right shoes, these make a huge difference to your comfort (go to a couple of shops and see if they recommend the same shoes, rather than just the most expensive pair), and a good running bra if you don't already have one, these are the 2 things not to skimp on, everything else go to the cheap shops and get the cheap stuff, but shoes and bra's get the good stuff.