Using Dumbells/Weights while on treadmill

Options
Can anyone give me some info on whether or not using weights and/or dumbells ( 10-12lbs ) while on treadmill is a good idea?

Forgive me is this is redundant or ignorant but Im new and any info would really help me out ~

Thanks so much!

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Please record this and post the video. Turn the speed up to eleven to get a really good burn. :drinker:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Carrying weights while walking or jogging is not advised. You don't burn much extra (if any) by doing it, and you risk overuse injuries of the shoulders and elbows.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Carrying weights while walking or jogging is not advised. You don't burn much extra (if any) by doing it, and you risk overuse injuries of the shoulders and elbows.

This is exactly what I was thinking.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you wanna kill two birds here, grab an 80 pounder and do some tricep extensions while on the treadmill.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Bad idea.

If you want to do weighted work when getting in a little cardio try things like Farmer's Walks or Dumbbell Walking Lunges.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Why ?
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Why ?
    Cardio and Strength training. DUH!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I use walking weights......they are 2-3 pounds only. The reason for walking weights is to keep my heart rate up....not strength training. Walking weights are a reminder for me to use my arms more.

Here's a link that shows treadmill DVDs that use weights....it may give you some ideas:

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/TRACEY-STAEHLE-WALKING-STRONG-TREADMILL-DVD-p/718.htm

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/TRACEY-STAEHLE-WALKING-STRONGER-TREADMILL-DVD-p/731.htm

Strength training is for heavier (more challenging) weights. Proper form is important to help prevent injuries.
  • _Josee_
    Options
    Why ?

Is it a case of people wanting maximum results with minimum effort again ?!?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    OP: don't.

See my answer to your other thread.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Why ?

May I suggest jumping rope in between sets?
  • _Josee_
    Options
    Why ?

Ohhh maybe jumping rope on the treadmill will burn extra calories ? What do you think ? Is it a bad idea ?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea, you can really hurt yourself.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Why ?

Ohhh maybe jumping rope on the treadmill will burn extra calories ? What do you think ? Is it a bad idea ?

Haha, great idea! We could call this new form of exercise treadmill acceleration.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Everyone discouraging you is just jealous of your awesomeness! It's definitely possible and the heavier the weights the better! It'll also help you resist the urge to hold on when the treadmill is going too fast to keep up. #winwin

If you're going to add in the jump rope, definitely incorporate some double unders for that extra challenge!

ETA: spelling
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Okay, point taken ---> a simple " You'll hurt yourself " would have been enough. I didn't realize I was supposed to take a course in gym 101 before posting here.

I was simply thinking I should be doing something productive with my upper half, while working out my legs, but as a friend suggested in a private message, it would be dangerous. I didn't think of it that way. I truly thank those who answered my question with class.

Have a great day :smile:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I use walking weights......they are 2-3 pounds only. The reason for walking weights is to keep my heart rate up....not strength training. Walking weights are a reminder for me to use my arms more.

Here's a link that shows treadmill DVDs that use weights....it may give you some ideas:

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/TRACEY-STAEHLE-WALKING-STRONG-TREADMILL-DVD-p/718.htm

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/TRACEY-STAEHLE-WALKING-STRONGER-TREADMILL-DVD-p/731.htm

Strength training is for heavier (more challenging) weights. Proper form is important to help prevent injuries.

Please don't do this. It causes biomechanical issues and can lead to injury.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    the only weights you should ever use in this kind of activity are weighted vests, maybe ankle/wrist, not dumbbells
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My (former) personal trainer, who actually has a PhD in physical therapy, once had me doing triceps extensions, curls and shoulder presses with light dumbbells while walking on the treadmill at an incline. No injuries, but it was hard to take her seriously after that.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    the only weights you should ever use in this kind of activity are weighted vests, maybe ankle/wrist, not dumbbells

No ankle/wrist weights.

And only use a weight vest if you have a specific reason you need the training.