Thoughts on yoga

Options
I know many people don't consider yoga a real workout, or use it on their "rest days" or whatever. I've been tossing around the idea of trading my yoga membership in for a gym membership to have access to more weights. I took last month off from yoga class because I was traveling a lot. Last month, my workouts consisted of dumbbells, bodyweight and running. I still worked out hard. I hit up my first yoga class after a month off today. I even decided to take it easy with a level one "old lady class." I was sweating and shaking halfway through.

What is it about yoga that is so much harder? Is it the slow strength poses? Just moving in different ways? I could have sworn I was getting MORE fit until I went to that class.

Replies

• nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It's just because you are not practicing yoga as often as you used to. It doesn't mean you are any less fit. It works different muscle groups doing yoga than other exercise. I've had male athletes take my yoga class and it was very challenging for them! They were surprised too. ;)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Meh, you can't go by what other people think. I've heard plenty of people say walking's not real exercise either and that's just BS. Sure it's not the same as lifting 2-3x your body weight or running a marathon but it still burns calories and is good for your health.

If it's a challenge for you and/or you enjoy it, keep it up!
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I know, I was just thinking being more fit overall would make yoga easier, but it's like a completely separate thing. Even though I am faster and stronger than I was last month, taking a month off from yoga completely let whatever the yoga muscles are go to pot. But it SEEMS like it shouldn't work that way. It seems like being more fit overall would also help with yoga, and visa versa.
  • nm212
    Options
    It does if you do it consistently with your other workouts. While lifting etc, isolates different muscle groups, yoga uses all of the different muscle groups simultaneously (depending on poses) and creates strength all around. Yes and holding poses or balancing poses will also challenge your muscles. It lengthens and strengthens you but depending how vigorous the class and how much you sweat etc...you may or may not burn as many calories as other exercises, so it's good to combine.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I find yoga quite challenging, especially the one that comes with P90x...I have seen some hard core yogis and there's no way they don't work hard to get there...

I find yoga very boring so I tend to skip it all the time although I know it's beneficial. I prefer doing ballet training and stetching.
  • a10horan
    a10horan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been practicing Bikram (hot) yoga since the middle of March. I don't do any other type of exercise. For me I think it works because you are using different muscles, it's balancing and strength. I love my yoga class. I work up a sweat just with the first breathing exercise. I walk out of there with soaking wet clothes. Love it!
  • superman_149
    Options
    I've actually been trying some yoga poses before bed, and I definitely notice it in the gym. All my stabilizing muscles seem to be stronger. I need to keep practicing at home so that I can actually go to a class without falling and knocking girls like yall over!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I like the pants.
    :wink:
  • nm212
    Options
    I've actually been trying some yoga poses before bed, and I definitely notice it in the gym. All my stabilizing muscles seem to be stronger. I need to keep practicing at home so that I can actually go to a class without falling and knocking girls like yall over!

haha nice!:smile:
  • nm212
    Options
    I like the pants.

Who , me? :tongue: