Revving up metabolism for weight loss

Options
Is the whole zig-sagging diet, such as the fast metabolism diet really work? Like you eat different numbers of calories each day to keep your metabolism working? Does this really work?

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    You increase your metabolism by eating healthy and getting regular exercise. That is it period....
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You increase your metabolism by eating healthy and getting regular exercise. That is it period....

How does "eating healthy" increase metabolism?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is a 24 hour thing. (it is always working)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    There is no hacking this system. The reason some people think varying calories helps is because it gives them a day that they can eat more tasty rubbish.
  • DanceswithWow
    Options

Beautiful.. some body else gets this!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    2 cups of coffee helps.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Is the whole zig-sagging diet, such as the fast metabolism diet really work? Like you eat different numbers of calories each day to keep your metabolism working? Does this really work?
    No. Basically anything that claims it does something to your metabolic rate is hogwash. You don't need to do anything special to maintain it. The only real way you'll increase it is by gaining weight, and increasing the matter the body must maintain.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    or zig zag an ECA stack lol
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    My name is Dances with WOW

If there is a cavity in the back of my mind... how is it possible to have a question filling it?
    See a mentist. And floss regularly to prevent further mental cavities.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My name is Dances with WOW

If there is a cavity in the back of my mind... how is it possible to have a question filling it?
    See a mentist. And floss regularly to prevent further mental cavities.

What if I just use Mentos?
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    I not so much a coffee drinker. But I do love my green tea :) Cannot go the day without at least four cups.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I do eat more calories on days I lift, but I don't think it necessary helps anything, I just feel hungrier on those days and my body needs more. I think being intuitive to your body's signals is really the best way to go about it. Don't overthink it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OP - some people like zig zagging, but don't do it if you think it is somehow going to increase your metabolism.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Weight Training - each pound of muscle burns 30-50 EXTRA calories a day.

Cardio - steady state cardio raises your metabolism while you're doing it, but once your finished, your metabolism returns to its regular rate. HIIT raises your metabolism for hours afterward.

Protein - has a greater thermogenic effect than the other macronutrients. Protein is harder for your body to digest and uses more energy breaking down proteins than fat or carbs does.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

No.
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    I think I will just stick to what is originally working for me. Saw it on a Dr. Oz show and got curious if something like that was really accurate.
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on the Dr. Oz show anyways. He just got called out in the news for all of his inaccurate claims.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I think I will just stick to what is originally working for me. Saw it on a Dr. Oz show and got curious if something like that was really accurate.

You trust a guy who admits there is no scientific basis for his claims and is so obviously wrong even CONGRESS could catch on?
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz got in a lot of trouble recently for the nonsense he puts on his show, i'd think twice about trusting him.

If you are looking to lose weight, calorie counting is key. Burn more than what you consume in a day and you will lose weight, there's no magic to it, it's science. To make sure you are getting the proper nutrition you can follow IIFYM.

Lift heavy weights at the gym to mitigate muscle loss and improve strength. You can't effectively gain muscle mass while on a deficit, but you can make your existing muscles stronger. You'll love how you look after losing the weight too.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Absolutely. You burn at rest, work and play. You need fuel for all three.