fitbitt flex or jawbone up24? help

Options
2»

Replies

• Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    No, the flex does not have an idle alert, battery life is claimed around the 7 day mark. Here is a head to head of both units with some interesting pointers:
    http://vickiho.com/post/55710494712/i-wore-the-fitbit-flex-and-jawbone-up-together-to-write
    The Garmin Vivofit has a one year battery life, but IMO Garmin Connect is not as good as FitBit, and it seems like their syncing to MFP is currently not the greatest.
  • Ellereiko
    Ellereiko Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am doing a biggest loser comp with my company and I bought the UP by jawbone maybe a month or so ago. I LOVE IT! it syncs with myfitnesspal and its such a great tool. Before I used to park at the mail boxes to get my mail but now i look down, see that bracelet and park my car then walk over to it. I go out of my way to hit 10,000. I didnt get the wireless one. I like mine because i plug it into my phone and it syncs so i dont have to deal with wifi. I definitely recommend it. a few friends from work got it too and we can add each other as team members and see how we all do during the day!!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    For Earinabby,

At home we have a saying if you purchase something you better do it right the first time. Im glad you told me about your instructors scenario. I really do not want experience the same thing.

I really appreciate all the comments. It was the flex that started getting me curious about fitness trackers. So none of you have experienced it being to sensitive if worn on your dominant wrist?

I have had a Fitbit Flex for about 6 months. I really like it. I do have issues with the band--I don't wear mine in the shower, so I take it off and on quite a bit more than most. I'm noticing that the band starts to crack a bit after about 3 months. I'm going to address this with the Fitbit company--they've been incredibly helpful any time I had an issue or question.

In regards to the dominant wrist issue, there's a setting within their program to indicate if you're wearing it on your dominant or non-dominant wrist.

I do think that sometimes it overstates my steps (I was unpacking a box the other day and it buzzed to let me know I had completed my "steps"), but I don't think it's terribly off. I watched my iPhone app as I was walking the other day and it was tracking pretty closely (step for step until I tripped a bit and then it tracked 2 steps for my actual one).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Fitbits! :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    For Earinabby,

Was you instructor wearing the Jawbone in the pool?

No. She stood on the deck to give the instructions. I do wear my flex in the pool and haven't had any issues. Actually, one minor issue: it counts the steps I do but doesn't record any of it as very active minutes. That gets fixed when I enter my water aerobics as exercise.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    So far i have noticed some users complain that the flex is not very accurate or the fitt app has limitations for logging food for South Africans?

And that the jawbone itself breaks within a few months of purchase without a known cause?
    I have both an UP24 and a Fitbit Flex. They have both broken & been replaced by the manufacturer. The big difference is Fitbits can sync with a computer via a dongle, but UP can only sync with a smartphone or tablet.

Do not log food in either one. Join your accounts, then MFP sends your food & water to the tracker, and uses your tracker burn (which is your TDEE) to calculate your daily calorie goal.

MFP has a Jawbone UP Bracelet group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/13370-jawbone-up-bracelet

And a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • sjrja
    sjrja Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit One and I love it - Is it SUPER accurate? No - it gives me steps when I drive over a bumpy patch of road, but I try to compensate for that by going over my goal each day by 10 or 20%. I sync it to MFP and that works really well - (fitbit food database is very weak, but they supposedly are working on that). I like the One because it tracks the number of stairs you climb using an altimeter, so you get a little extra credit for burning calories when you walk uphill. I don't think the flex does that. The computer graphics are great - my fitbit goes almost two weeks without a charge, and only takes a couple hours to charge back up, so thats never a problem. When I am diligent about tracking my food and meeting my fitness goals, the combination works well and the weight comes off.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit One and I love it - Is it SUPER accurate? No - it gives me steps when I drive over a bumpy patch of road, but I try to compensate for that by going over my goal each day by 10 or 20%.

I tested my flex recently. I drove for a little over 90 minutes and it recorded a total of 75 steps during that time, which I didn't think was too bad.