what happens to your skin when you lose weight?

Options
After a good two months of being off the wagon, I am back on my diet again! Yay! But I suddenly had a thought: what happens to all that skin as you lose weight? If you shrink at a natural pace, does your skin shrink with you? I thought if this because I saw an image of a girl with a lot of extra, loose skin after reaching her goal weight. I need to lose almost 100 pounds to reach my goal weight; is this something I have to worry about? Are there any precautions I can take to avoid it? It won't make or break me wearing a bikini or anything(too shy to wear 'em) but I'd like to not be flabby after I lose the flab.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    alot of factors play into this, the rate at which you lose weight, where you carry your fat, how much fat you have, how old you are ect.

but really its one of those things that you should put in the back of your mind. just dont rush weight loss and you should be fine. even if you do end up with some loose skin, you'll still be better off health wise and appearance wise
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You're young. You might have some loose skin. A lot of it is genetics. I wouldn't worry about it. Just lose weight as slowly as you're comfortable doing. And when you're done, give your skin some time to tighten up on it's own. I had a lot. But after about a year, very little of it was noticeable. And really only I notice it. No one else believes I lost 100 lbs.

I was in particularly grateful that the skin on my face and throat tightened. It sags ever so slightly under the cheeks. But only I can see it. No one else notices it. You're young enough, it might not happen at all to you.