Running app help

Options
Just wondering is there is is a running app out there for andriod systems that will periodically tell me what speed I am going? I currently use mapmyfittness but I'm finding it difficult to keep a consistent pace. Any suggestions?

Replies

• newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I used run keeper for the first time today, and it was giving me my distance covered and pace every 5 minutes. I didn't really like it, and will have to look at the settings, but it sounds like something you may like.
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRun and like it a lot. I'm really not sure what the difference is between it and MapMyFitness but most of my running buddies are using MapMyRun.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Run keeper has audio cues. You can set it up by time or distance, or on demand only.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper sounds like just what I am looking for!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I am currently using a gps/hrm, so no app, but I have used and liked Runkeeper in the past. Another one to consider is Sportstracker. They are currently advertising audio cues and what they call Ghost Target, you pick a pace and it displays a ghost figure on the map showing where you are compared to it, behind or ahead of goal. They are also adding a audio feedback to the ghost. Sounds intriguing.
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use the MapMy* series for just about everything. MapMyRun tells you your split pace each mile, keeps track of your route, and logs each run so you can go back and check. Also, there is MapMyRide for bikes and MapMyHike for... well, you know. Each one track speed, distance, height gain, and logs each workout. Best part is they all only need one password and log in.
  • Asherah29
    Options
    I am currently using a gps/hrm, so no app, but I have used and liked Runkeeper in the past. Another one to consider is Sportstracker. They are currently advertising audio cues and what they call Ghost Target, you pick a pace and it displays a ghost figure on the map showing where you are compared to it, behind or ahead of goal. They are also adding a audio feedback to the ghost. Sounds intriguing.

Thank you John, that sounds like a good possibility as well!
  • Asherah29
    Options
    I use the MapMy* series for just about everything. MapMyRun tells you your split pace each mile, keeps track of your route, and logs each run so you can go back and check. Also, there is MapMyRide for bikes and MapMyHike for... well, you know. Each one track speed, distance, height gain, and logs each workout. Best part is they all only need one password and log in.

mapmyfitness does the same thing, which I think is great! I just want something that will talk to me a little sooner than every mile. I find that I'm constantly slowing down or speeding up as I've been learning to run and I've actually added time back to my mile. So I thought if I had something to tell me my pace/time on a regular basis it would help me get an idea of how fast to move at the given time in order to meet my goal, rather than telling me I wasn't fast enough by the time its too late to do anything about it!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

mapmyfitness does the same thing, which I think is great! I just want something that will talk to me a little sooner than every mile. I find that I'm constantly slowing down or speeding up as I've been learning to run and I've actually added time back to my mile. So I thought if I had something to tell me my pace/time on a regular basis it would help me get an idea of how fast to move at the given time in order to meet my goal, rather than telling me I wasn't fast enough by the time its too late to do anything about it!

You could always change the settings on the app and alter the voice feedback frequency.
  • beckademic
    beckademic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think you have to be MVP to have live feedback on MapMy*
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

RunKeeper will let you adjust the audio cues based on time (Every minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes...) or distance (.25 miles, .5 miles, 1 mile....) You can have it tell you a number of things. Average pace, current split pace, total distance, heart rate (If you have a HRM). All of these features are in the free version.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Map My Run is good and you can sync it to MFP
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper and Nike+ both give pace and distance updates. I use Nike more than Runkeeper, and I know you can set it to update every minute, or five minutes, or every mile, etc. - there are several options.

Most of them are free - download them and try them out, see which you like best.
  • beckademic
    beckademic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i lied, i have found the setting for current pace controls on the audio feedback for MapMy*
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ and have it set for feedback every 1/4 mile; it has helped me keep a more even pace going through out my runs. It has 8 differen feedback frequency settings - 4 in miles and 4 in minutes. I have checked many of my running routes and its GPS is very accurate. Run strong!