resuming running after pregnancy/birth

Options
i am currently pregnant (18 weeks) and trying my best to keep up with running. i have had to slow my pace and add in some walking breaks. i hope to be able to continue throughout my pregnancy but realistically that may not happen and will switch to walking if need be. after giving birth, i will need to recover for 6 weeks or so and then hope to resume running. i am dreading having to start at the beginning!
what have been your experiences with pregnancy, running, and resuming running afterwards? just want to be prepared... thanks!

Replies

• eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    In to hear responses
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Well to be honest - my body felt weird afterwards as it recovered from delivery. With my son it took 6-8 weeks to recover but with my daughter it was more like a week or two. I've only just now started running again and the main problem I have is building up the strength in my pelvic floor. I was heavily into pilates before I got pregnant so I had good core strength but having a baby can really do a number on those muscles especially the pelvic floor. Even now I have runs where I worry about wee-ing myself and I have to keep engaging those muscles and working on my core strength.

I guess what I'm saying is that when you get the green light to start exercising again- really focus on those core muscle exercises. They'll be good to ease back into physical fitness and they'll help with the whole problem of sneezing and pissing your pants. (has happened to me)
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    idgaf14, your post made me laugh :). this is not my first child so im actually familiar with what youre talking about. its just the first pregnancy during which ive actually exercised so was wondering about getting back into it. you are probably right about strengthening the core after pregnancy and will make sure to include those exercises too... thanks.
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump