Ex Binge Eaters

Options
13»

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    When I had the most trouble with binge eating about five years ago, I went to see a nutritionist. She looked at my diet and told me that I wasn't eating enough fat or enough calories for the amount I was working out. I made her suggested changes, and it made a MAJOR difference. I also try to make sure I get at least seven hours of sleep. If I'm sleep deprived I will get major cravings. Even now, if I work out too much or if I don't eat enough, I still feel those urges. So make sure you aren't at too much of a deficit.
  • amanda_oc
    amanda_oc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I need help. I struggle with binge eating and no matter my valiant efforts to stop, I always end up giving up and eating like a whole loaf of bread. It's always so depressing but the taste of a donut wins over all else. Why do I keep things like that around you ask? I am usually pretty good about what to buy but I breakdown and also because somewhere deep in my little optimistic mind I think can say no to it, but in all reality I have no self control. And even when I don't have anything horrible in my house, I still some how manage to find something and completely takes me off track. I obviously struggle with an addiction and would like some words of encouragement or even your own success story or just some ideas on how to slowly fix myself. I know many people struggle with binge eating and so many have beat it so maybe someone can be able to give me a little hope. I'm just tired of this vicious cycle i find myself in. If you have any thing, I'm more than happy to hear it. Thanks in advance.

I can definitely relate.

I know many responses are more about the physical side of it, rather than the psychological, but my big binge eating problem is about emotions rather than food.

I'm trying to combat this at the moment, and this morning I sat down and wrote a letter to myself that I've to read when I want to binge. Feel free to have a read in case there's anything helpful in it.

Sorry I know links don't usually post well here http://beautyfrompainblog.com/2014/07/19/so-you-want-to-binge-a-letter-to-myself/
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Fellow binge eater
  • hungreeman
    Options
    Don't Look Back! Anybody overweight is a binge eater to some degree.
    1. Every time you put any calories into your mouth log them into MFP.
    2. No food or snacks after 5pm.
    3. Log any exercise into MFP but don't eat those calories burned.

Stay under your calories allotted for the day and you cant lose 1200. I weigh a man weighing 236 and I am eating 1500 cals a day plus exercise.

Good luck.

Robert
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tlicttbh
    tlicttbh Posts: 89
    Options
    I have struggled with binge eating for 40 years. I've tried all sorts of diets, books, etc. The books that have helped me the most are:
    Overcoming Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth
    EatQ by Susan Albers

I got both at our library. I am now able to be satisfied with, for example, one Dove square of chocolate per day. Not the whole bag.
    On MFP, there are some groups on binge eating and emotional eating which might be helpful to you.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I'm a low-carber, so my advice might be different than others.

I am able to stop binge eating by eating a decent quality meal.

That helped me a lot, as did reaching for a drink or distraction instead.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    double post