Track running:a rant

Options
2»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    wtf? Why would people go walking on a running track?

Here the appropriate etiquette would be for you to keep to the inside lane (because you are going faster), shout TRACK as loud as you can as you come up behind them, and then barge them.

That's how I learned- faster on the inside- walkers on the outside.

There have never been more than 2-3 people on the track with me- but I always pass on their left- so they are on my right- and I tell ON THE LEFT.

Walking 5 wide and taking up enough of the track to make someone jump around is incredibly rude- I'd have no issues calling out and then giving a shoulder if they don't move over.

It's the opposite at my gym's indoor track. Walkers to the inside, clearly painted on the track in multiple places. Unfortunately, people pay no attention to this and are walking on the outside, the inside, up the center ...

Good thing there are never very many of them so there's plenty of room to go around.

And too the people who say just run them over - I may have an increased velocity, but I have little mass compared to most. I'm afraid my momentum would not be sufficient and I'd end up just bouncing off :laugh:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Reverse direction so you're running at them and play chicken. You could even speed up and put your head down so they know you mean business.

Awesome! :drinker:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    And nobody has recommended crop dusting them yet?
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Here in NY people bring their kids bikes, soccer balls, dogs, strollers, etc onto the track. These teenagers were kicking a ball across the track (all 6 lanes) trying to mess up people or trip them. Well I am pretty athletic and kicked that ball over the fence and into the woods. Then I picked up the pace and didn't go back for 3 days because I was scared, but it felt amazing nonetheless.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am lucky, a lot of times I'm the only one at my track. There are never more than two or three other people. But sometimes the grounds keeper stares at me and it really creeps me out!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If they're playing Red Rover aren't you just supposed to smash through them?
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've never understood walking on a track either - snore. But our track has signs up telling walkers to stay to the outside lanes and people are pretty good about adhering to that.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Last night a couple with 3 little kids was walking around the track. Well, the husband did run a few laps but most of the time they were all walking side-by-side taking up about 4 lanes. During a fast interval two of the kids suddenly decide to turn 90° and dart right in front of me. I yelled at the parents but they paid no attention. If they want to all go for a walk there's like a zillion miles of sidewalk everywhere, there's the mall, there are greenways, there are trails. All nearby!
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Was there really no room to go between them? On the track I use there are about 5 lanes, but even if people were walking 1-per-lane as 5 across, there would be room to go between them! If they were zigzagging and/or had kids with them I would definitely yell something as I approached as well ("On your left" or "Watch out" or "Coming through" or something like that). If it happened repeatedly (as in, multiple days, or a bunch of laps on the track) I would stop and politely explain to them the track etiquette. I'd just say "Hey, do you guys mind keeping lane 1 clear for me for a little while? I don't want to accidentally run into one of your kids as I come by!".
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Reverse direction so you're running at them and play chicken. You could even speed up and put your head down so they know you mean business.

HAHAHAA!!
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Here in NY people bring their kids bikes, soccer balls, dogs, strollers, etc onto the track. These teenagers were kicking a ball across the track (all 6 lanes) trying to mess up people or trip them. Well I am pretty athletic and kicked that ball over the fence and into the woods. Then I picked up the pace and didn't go back for 3 days because I was scared, but it felt amazing nonetheless.

This made me laugh WAY too loud at my very quiet office. :laugh:
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    whats worse is couple side by side with a child between them. I love kids have two of my own but for some reason they have a habit of stepping right in your way as you take that running step to go around them. I have learned to keep a wide distance between myslelf and the small children.
    Here where I live a bicyclist tried going between a couple nailed the woman she was hospitalized and now sueing the cyclist for the medical bills and some xtra im sure. By the way these are on paved trails.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Of all the poor track etiquette sorts I have met, the worst is when they start on the outside lane and then cut over to the inside on a curve. Don't drink before track.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    You're running. You have a larger velocity. Knock them down and keep running.

This suggestion actually made me LOL. I hated running on the track. But as I swim for a good amount of my exercise, I have similar complaints about being in the pool. No, you cannot take up the whole shallow end of my lap lane to do pool yoga or whatever. Go in the general section. :grumble:
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

*gigglesnort*

Angry_Bull-300x192.gif

Edited... first pic didn't work.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This is also true in races.
  • bluehenjen
    bluehenjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Awesome. :drinker:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You're running. You have a larger velocity. Knock them down and keep running.

This suggestion actually made me LOL. I hated running on the track. But as I swim for a good amount of my exercise, I have similar complaints about being in the pool. No, you cannot take up the whole shallow end of my lap lane to do pool yoga or whatever. Go in the general section. :grumble:

My running group does a Tuesday track workout. Every year and numerous times though the year the head guy goes over track etiquette with everyone. A lot of the runners still don't get it and you'll have three or more running side by side in the inside lane.
    (I'm slower runner so it doesn't interfere with me).
    We also have to contend with walkers. One lady complained last year about runners whisking by her. She was walking the very inside.
    The runners actually irritate me more because they are aware. I had no idea about track etiquette until I started runnin and there is nothing posted at the track so I can forgive the walkers.

The swimming thing gets me the most. I think it's worse because it is much harder to avoid people. My Y has 3 lanes wide for the "bobbers" and yet they will still take a whole lane that people are lap swimming in. (It is designated as a lapswim not open pool).
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i've given up on everyone. now if someone annoys me, I either buzz them or go around them and then stop to stretch in front of them. i also do this on the sidewalk, especially if a pack of walkers are approaching me. by stopping, and take up space they have to go around, so I see no need for me to veer onto the street or grass.