Godzilla of Calorie days!! What to do if you go way over?

Options
Hey all!

Today was a bad day for me calorie wise, I havent finished logging all my food but I know that I will be way over. I was wondering what is best to do for the rest of the week. Meaning, should I double up on exercise? I won´t eat under 1200 Cals ever even if I did go way over today as I know this isn´t healthy. Any advice? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I set my goal for the last 3 days to simply maintain because i was at the beach and knew I'd be eating out a lot. Yesterday, i got up to around 4500 calories. Lol. I figure, today I'm back home, reset my goals to normal to keep losing weight, started exercising again, and if i actually gain weight from that one day, I'll deal with it because it will come back off.

I did exercise a bit more than i usually do, but not terribly much. I look at my overall weekly intake under the nutrition - weekly tab and cut back here and there, and that has usually worked for me. I'd say overall weekly calorie intake is a little more important than a single Godzilla day. Good luck!
  • cestabbey
    cestabbey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I have a day where I went way over, I just call it life and move on. Just don't worry about it! Go back to your normal deficit and just think about your day today. If you try to overcompensate you risk creating a unhealthy mindset about your eating and exercising habits.

That's just my two cents. :D
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I went over today by 600 calories. My week "starts over" on Monday, so I set my daily calories back by 150 each day for the next four days. I kind of adopted this approach from Weight Watchers.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    All you can do is return to your regular dietary habits. You don't want to yo-yo day to day with your calorie intake. Try to keep it consistent.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Blueseraphchaos's and Cestabbey's nailed it. Look at your weekly average and don't let one day drag you down. In April I have 3 family Birthdays and then there was a special " Easter FEAST " so it was a bad 4 days. But over the month I still managed a modest 1 lb loss. Flipped the page on the calendar and keep moving forward.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    When you go over, don't fret about it. Actually, it's GOOD for your body to get a little more now and then and it can actually help with your weight loss. You don't need to work out extra hard or go into an even bigger deficit for the rest of the week; it's perfectly normal and good for your body. Just go back to normal tomorrow! It's always a new day :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Jake_move_on.gif
  • adowling80
    adowling80 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I have a day where I went way over, I just call it life and move on. Just don't worry about it! Go back to your normal deficit and just think about your day today. If you try to overcompensate you risk creating a unhealthy mindset about your eating and exercising habits.

This. Plus I drink a lot of water the day following an indulgence. I have a 32 oz jug that I keep at my desk, I usually refill it six times on those days. Don't let one day get you down. Get back on track and keep moving forward. We all hang off the side of the wagon from time to time :)
  • ohoyotohbi
    ohoyotohbi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm this ----> average obese American woman. I've just started with MFP and I've been diligent with documenting for 14 days. However, on about a quarter of those days I am honest in my documenting 3k-4k calories. I want to do this right and I know I'm eating wrong at times. My weight fluctuates between 7-10 lbs in a week, up or down. I know I'm new at this but I find myself hungry so I will eat something in order that I don't eat more, later. Wrong logic? Also compounding this problem is the issue of limited finances and having meals of vastly different tastes for two people in the household. I know this may sound cruel but I feel that the truth is if I did not have to cater to this other elderly person's dietary and appetite needs, then I would have absolutely zero problem cooking healthy and eating well because I'd only have to take care of me. Caregivers always care for themselves last but I want to get a hold of my health now! while I am still relatively young (32) and have time (before I drop of a heart attack or stroke at 45). Until the situation changes and this other person finally goes into an assisted living facility, I see my only options are 1.) doing the best I can with diet & exercise, 2.) using my free weights to build muscle which then burns more calories anyway, 3.) let the bad days fall where they may. :/
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have many days I don't log where I have to be hitting at least 6000 - 8000 calories (potlucks, bbqs....places I just don't care to care). It has yet to make me go up on the scale even when I want it to.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I just log it and move on. :smile:
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day. Forgive it, forget it, and move on. :drinker:
  • pjb58
    pjb58 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority here. It was one day and tomorrow is a new day. Start fresh
    It happens to me almost every Sunday because that is the one day I don't exercise so I only get 1200 calories....I could eat that up for breakfast. ;-)
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

This!!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's just one day, log it and move on!
  • rightaboutmeow
    rightaboutmeow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yup, log it and move on. There are days (usually my "date days" with my g/f) that I end up over, and I just log it honestly (no matter how much it makes me cringe haha) and plan to go back to normal the next day. You can't think of it as a diet, it has to be a lifestyle change and let's be honest- do you really plan to spend the rest of your life never going over calories or trying to figure out to subtract X calories for X number of days to get back to your regular deficit?

I say it's fine you had an indulgence, now just get back on track. But don't stress yourself out on it.
    :)
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Yep...odd days are nothing to worry about...log it and move on
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you didn't over eat today.... you fueled up for a hard early morning work out tomorrow.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    you didn't over eat today.... you fueled up for a hard early morning work out tomorrow.

^^ This.
    I like this.
    I tend to see my high calorie days as mini bulks, haha.