New winter coat - help me determine size?

Options
lessjess1
lessjess1 Posts: 71 Member
I bought a new coat this year in size large. Its a little snug, but I have 25 more lbs to lose. Its especially snug in the bust area. Do you think I should exchange it for the XL that fits perfectly? Or should I keep wearing it a bit snug and hope it feels better in 25 lbs. I've been successful so far, so I'm very confident I can lose the 25 lbs in the next 3 months. BUT, not sure if I will lose anything from my bust area....

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I am facing the same dilemma with levis. Just wore out 3 pair and found 3 more pair in my closet that are a size smaller. I am wearing them and hoping that this uncomfortable feeling will help with my resolve to lose weight.
  • fullagrace
    Options
    Have you lost a lot of weight in your bust already?

Most women lose from their chest first. I didnt have much to begin with lol but I noticed a slight change already.

If it will take you 3 months to lose the weight then it will be tight for the majority of the winter????

If you are outside in the cold a lot and its uncomfortably small I would exchange it and buy a smaller one next year :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I usually err on the side of what fits now. (ie: I just bought pants in a 10 instead of the 8) but I think it comes down to how you motivate yourself. I like knowing that I'm ok how I am, and I don't need to be smaller to have the things I want/like- it's a mind set that I've only adopted this year but it's working so I'm sticking with it.

If you really enjoy pushing yourself, than the smaller size might be the kind of boost you need. Just remember- 25 lbs will take a while to lose, even with good somewhat rapid progress, you are looking at nearly 12 weeks. You don't want to be freezing until mid Feb.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You've lost 25 lbs. Celebrate it by getting the coat that fits properly now, and enjoy!

I recently did the same as RoadDog, I wore pants that were too small for me because: a) I had them; and b) I had gotten to the place where I was sick of my pants being so baggy and loose.

That said, having something that fits perfectly is a wonderful feeling.
  • rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Options
    return it get your cash back and go to a consignment store and get an XL. You won't feel guilty when you shrink out of the XL and you might even be able to get the same coat in a medium or large at the end of the season on sale. Or maybe an XL and a L now at the consigment store. There are some really great ones near me. I drive to the rich area and the store is filled with the best brand names and look brand new. They even have full length furs there!

Good luck whatever you decide. :smile:
  • lessjess1
    lessjess1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The thing is, its an expensive coat $125. And I LOVE it, so I don't want it to NOT fit next winter.

I've already lost 75 lbs (18 of those with MFP) and yes, I have lost a lot in my bust already. Think I will continue to use, or the weight will start to come off other places? Its so hard to say, I know.

Not sure what to do!!!

For the person who said I'd be freezing for 3 months, thats not the case, the coat goes on my body and buttons closed. Its just snug - meaning, I probably couldn't do jumping jacks in it.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The thing is, its an expensive coat $125. And I LOVE it, so I don't want it to NOT fit next winter.

Take the one that you have to an alteration place and see if it is a design that can be altered for a small fee if you buy the XL right now. If it can be altered, go get the XL and look/feel fabulous this year and next.