DOMS: Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

So yesterday I worked out really hard, I was feeling quite motivated, and did a workout, then my husband wanted to join in so I did another set with him, then we went out and were walking for around 30 minutes. Today I'm absolutely wrecked, sore, stiff, I don't think I can do my usual workout today. So is it ever a good idea to exercise while sore? Could I just do something gentle or should I just take an opportunity to rest?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I can always fit in a swim, even when I am really sore. Although, I suck at swimming, so it's a really gentle workout for me (lots of floating and slow laps). Some light stretches, gentle yoga, or a nice walk is manageable. If you are too sore, don't push yourself. Have a hot Epsom salt bath and take things easy for the day. What is your body telling you to do?
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    "Today I'm absolutely wrecked, sore, stiff, I don't think I can do my usual workout today".

Haven't you answered your own question?
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    working out will actually help alleviate the soreness, following up with a good stretching session, tons of water, and a nice Epsom Salts bath. Smile when you feel the soreness...it means you didn't phone in your workout and you should be proud! You'll be fine.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Just have a rest day, it's just as important as training days.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    That's totally me today. I felt so horrible and frustrated with all the soreness.So I took a nap and workout for 1 hour then took a hot milk bath, I feel totally happy and nice now. I hope I don't get any soreness tomorrow though, it really ruins my mood.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Pain don't hurt, keep moving.
    The pain your feeling is success, keep it up.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Just do something light - that will be more effective at alleviating the DOMS than doing nothing.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    I am doing Jillian Micheals 30 day shred. It leaves me tired and sore....I also swim 2000 meters on the same day....the swimming helps relieve my stiff and sore muscles. The cool water and the movement are what do it. My son suggested a cold bath (he us an ex football lineman). I could not bring myself to do that!
    That being said...if you don't think you can do your workout....don't.