Opening my diary for advice

Options
Hi

Height - 5,2
SW - 259
CW - 164

I am opening my diary for advice purposes, as of now I am 95lb down but still have 10/15lb to get to my current scales goal and Lords knows how much work to my toned body goal.

So I have been following the MFP calorie set up and recently decided after reading numerous posts that the TDEE method may be better for me. So MFP had me on 1290 and after working out my TDEE - 15% I came to the figure of 1782 . I have decided to introduce 50 cals into my allowance week by week as a 500 increase could send me off the rails. I have also decided to pay closer attention to watching my macros, I have changed the setting on this a few times over the last two weeks but came to this:

Protein 30%
Carbs 40%
Fat 30%

Looking at my chart I think I am struggling in the protein department so wanted advice on things i could potentially eat, I eat eggs, chicken, turkey etc regularly but I am not cutting the mark so just wanted general advice on things I could add and remove as i mainly eat the same things on a weekly basis.

My snacking is crap..... hides face*

Please note! I drink about a gallon of water a day but do not log as its standard for me to drink plenty of water so not something I track on here.

My logging was crap before but I am getting better so hopefully there is enough info to give you a good idea of my day to day eating.

Thank you in advance

Replies

• Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    Your protein goals actually look a little high to me. I would recommend you get between 75 and 120 grams per day, but the amount you are aiming for certainly won't hurt you if you prefer it over carbs or fat. If you were to shift calories from protein to anything else I would further recommend you move them to carbs as your fat goals look fine for a deficit. Again, it's down to preference though, so if you were to increase your fat goals instead it wouldn't matter.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary I don't see you using the TDEE method as you are recording exericse calories...

By doing this your macros change based on that.

As for advice...set your goals by using the custom method. Record exercise if you choose but change the calories to 1 so as not to confuse and/or change the numbers.

Quck add calories are dangerous.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Changingmyfatitude Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary I don't see you using the TDEE method as you are recording exericse calories...

By doing this your macros change based on that.

As for advice...set your goals by using the custom method. Record exercise if you choose but change the calories to 1 so as not to confuse and/or change the numbers.

Quck add calories are dangerous.

Thanks for your reply, I only started the TDEE way this morning and thought as I was increasing my calories slowly I should continue as I have been doing until I am at the calorie intake TDEE prescribed... is this wrong??

Re quick calories * hangs head in shame* I agree, working on my logging daily I promise.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Options
    just eat at a defecit

smokin curves by the way :)

Thank you, I have a love hate relationship with them depending on the outfit lol
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Options
    Your protein goals actually look a little high to me. I would recommend you get between 75 and 120 grams per day, but the amount you are aiming for certainly won't hurt you if you prefer it over carbs or fat. If you were to shift calories from protein to anything else I would further recommend you move them to carbs as your fat goals look fine for a deficit. Again, it's down to preference though, so if you were to increase your fat goals instead it wouldn'
    t matter.

Thanks you are fast becoming my fav adviser lol. Do you think I should try it this way first and see how my body responds before I change it or really should it depend on what my goals are that defines the macro set up?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? Your numbers look very round and seem to repeat over and over, like a 100g banana. A food scale should be used for everything other than freely pouring liquids, nutritional info for which would be written on the package only by volume and not weight. Such as milk. Other than that, on the scale it goes

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Also this is just a preference but I don't log zero calorie items just to simplify the process a bit. You're probably better off logging them though haha
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Your protein goals are really high. You only need between .55-.8g/1lb of LEAN muscle mass.
    I would also focus on upping your fruit and veg intake for more optimal body function.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Options
    Your protein goals are really high. You only need between .55-.8g/1lb of LEAN muscle mass.
    I would also focus on upping your fruit and veg intake for more optimal body function.

I agree and have been thinking to incorporate more fruits to my snacking, I generally have veg with my lunch and dinner but fruit does definitely needs to be increased.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Your protein goal is fine! It's important to eat enough protein while losing weight to avoid losing muscle. The general recommendation is 1 gram per pound of body weight. This will help keep you full while you are eating at a deficit. In order to get "toned" you need some form of resistance training.

I agree with the previous poster about your curves!
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Options
    Your protein goal is fine! It's important to eat enough protein while losing weight to avoid losing muscle. The general recommendation is 1 gram per pound of body weight. This will help keep you full while you are eating at a deficit. In order to get "toned" you need some form of resistance training.

Thanks for the responce and compliment :)

I workout at home which is why my resistance training is not great but im looking into resistance programmes that can be done at home.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Thanks for the responce and compliment :)

I workout at home which is why my resistance training is not great but im looking into resistance programmes that can be done at home.
    There is nothing wrong with working out at home! There are lots of workouts you can do at home with minimal equipment, especially when you are first starting out. Best of luck to you!
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    Your protein goals actually look a little high to me. I would recommend you get between 75 and 120 grams per day, but the amount you are aiming for certainly won't hurt you if you prefer it over carbs or fat. If you were to shift calories from protein to anything else I would further recommend you move them to carbs as your fat goals look fine for a deficit. Again, it's down to preference though, so if you were to increase your fat goals instead it wouldn't matter.

Thanks you are fast becoming my fav adviser lol. Do you think I should try it this way first and see how my body responds before I change it or really should it depend on what my goals are that defines the macro set up?
    Macro set up for a general weight-loss calories deficit is *relatively* unimportant - as long as you are getting your essential fats and the bare minimum protein then everything else is preference. You'll have to spend some time working out if you preform and feel better with higher fats/lower carbs or lower fats/higher carbs.
    Unless something drastic happens (which is unlikely), stick with whatever you choose for at least a month so you get a good idea of how you feel/perform. No sense flitting back and fourth at the drop of a hat.
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add, but you're my favorite advice-asker ever! You:

1. Opened your diary
    2. Gave good background
    3. Didn't get defensive
    4. Admitted some weaknesses

It's almost like you don't know that you're supposed to get really mad at anyone trying to help and call them bad names and swear you're never going to post here again! ;-)
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Options
    I don't have anything to add, but you're my favorite advice-asker ever! You:

1. Opened your diary
    2. Gave good background
    3. Didn't get defensive
    4. Admitted some weaknesses

It's almost like you don't know that you're supposed to get really mad at anyone trying to help and call them bad names and swear you're never going to post here again! ;-)

Hahaha well no one waa rude and I do think when you put a question out here on MFP you have to be open to advice. Asking questions because I know I need help from people who may have more insight than I do.

Lol hopefully no one will be mean and I won't ever have to act loco here