Juice Fasting

Options
nellajane24
nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
I am looking into doing a juice fast for about 1-2 weeks, and was wondering if any of you had any good recipes and/or plans? I really don't feel like going out and buying a book about it :/. thanks!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Juice=EVIL!! Sooooooooooo much sugar!!!!
  • SkierElle
    Options
    You could do a fast with fruits and tea instead or look into Eat Stop Eat (there is a thread about it, check it out)

juice = almost as much sugar as pop. would you do a coke fast? probably not!
  • kyasarin381
    Options
    Actually, in my opinion, juice fasting is one of the worst ideas out there. Your body needs protein, fiber and other nutrients to stay healthy. Your body will start to feed off of your muscle tissue and once you decide not to do the juice fasting (when your 1-2 wks is up) you will more than likely gain the weight you did lose back and maybe more. You have probably heard it over and over, but the best way to lose weight and stay fit is by eating the right foods and exercising on a regular basis. It's hard work and it takes a lot of determination, but you won't succeed by doing fad diets. Good luck on your journey to losing weight and being happy with yourself.
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Firstly, to the cynics, its not like doing a chemically laden soda fast. Vegetable juice doesn't contain much sugar, and its packed with live enzymes that drank as a juice may be digested more efficiently than as whole fruit. If your system is not processing food well, it can be an efficient way to get nutrients.

I was thinking of doing a juice fast - let me know how yours goes.

When researching I came across this place that delivers. I figured I'd copy their ingredients for the five juices per day at home.
    http://www.pressedjuicery.com/products-cleanses
    Take a look, you can probably base your cleanse on the plans they do.

Also, this site has some good advice - http://www.juicingbook.com/
    Also check out curezone.com.

Lastly, instead of buying a juicer, you can blend fruit and squeeze the juice out using an nut mylk bag - apparently just as good & cheap :)
    http://www.amazon.com/Nut-Milk-Bag-New-Improved/dp/B00158U8DU

Good luck!
  • eillamarie
    Options
    1. The majority of juices (unless you buy the organic etc etc) juices are extreamly high in refined sugars, some as much as pop!
    2. The only truely healthy form of juice is the kind that you squeeze yourself and drink right away-pulp and all.
    3. Even drinking freshly squeezed juice with pulp isn't as healthy as you'd think it is as there is a lot of fiber & other nutrients that just don't squeeze out of fruits-like oranges for ex.
  • ClaireElanB
    Options
    - If you are juice fasting and buying premade juices with sugar then you're not doing a proper juice fast. You have to juice your own veggies & fruit to consume the fresh enzymes, which die within an hour.
  • nellajane24
    Options
    Thanks, bohochick-- And to everyone else, not a "juice" juice fast.. sheesh! I avoid fruit juices at all costs because of the sugar. We're talking, pure juiced fruits, veggies, and other good, wholesome stuff. More like a detox.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks, bohochick-- And to everyone else, not a "juice" juice fast.. sheesh! I avoid fruit juices at all costs because of the sugar. We're talking, pure juiced fruits, veggies, and other good, wholesome stuff. More like a detox.
    Sounds great!:drinker: Nothing in the world like fresh juiced carrots with a few slices of apple tossed in (or even plain carrot is Yum-O). mm mm Delish!

Wishing you well on your healthy juicing :flowerforyou: I know when I've done that in the past, I felt so great from the first glass on...just really was what my body was needing :) You can also save the pulp for other healthy uses:wink:

I free-cycled my juicer some years back so I don't tend get a chance to enjoy carrot juice like I once used too. ICK canned carrot juice, ppl? never never go that route.:sick: :frown:
  • eillamarie
    Options
    Veggies and Fruits aren't exactly protein and healthy-fat rich...where will you be getting these essential nutrients from?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Veggies and Fruits aren't exactly protein and healthy-fat rich...where will you be getting these essential nutrients from?
    I don't think she's planning this for life guys!:wink::flowerforyou: From what I've gathered it's just for a short bit of time?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I don't think she's planning this for life guys!:wink::flowerforyou: From what I've gathered it's just for a short bit of time?
    Darn, I was in the middle of editing and had to leave to go do something... so much for what I just wrote and now it's gone.:grumble:

What I was saying is I hadn't realized it was for 1-2 weeks when I shared my thoughts on it...I thought it was like a 3 day fresh juice fast or something. Is there a reason you've chosen 1-2 weeks? Really all I am is curious:wink::flowerforyou: but that seems like an extreme amount of time only drinking meals that consist of fruit/veggies. No fiber, protein etc.
  • ClaireElanB
    Options
    100 calories of spinach has more protein than 100 calories of beef, fyi. Where do you think all those cows get their protein from? GRASS!!!
    Plant based amino acids are the most easily digested forms of protein.
    Fruits & veggies do have protein & healthy fats, and again, its a cleanse, not a permanent way of eating.
    I recommend Joel Fuhrmans 'Eat to Live' for those uneducated it the benefits of non-animal based proteins, or 'The China Study'.
  • nellajane24
    Options
    well, i was originally planning on doing like a 2-3 day detox to get a little head start. then i did some research and saw people that did it for like, a MONTH! crazy! (i would not do this) i found a whole bunch of recipes with things other than fruit or veggies juiced in, such as wheat germ, flax seed oil, protein powder, skim milk powder, things like that. so i was thinking about a week to really get myself going and get a great detox.

not to be rude or anything, i posted this topic because i wanted some good recipes and possible plans, not criticism. :/ i learned a ton about nutrition in my schooling, and i eat as healthy as possible. i would never deprive myself of nutrients that i really need for some "fad diet". a detox is healthy to do every so often, and a week is an appropriate time.
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hey, Let me know how you feel, If you keep doing your normal workout and such. If it goes great I might try it. Good Luck
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    well, i was originally planning on doing like a 2-3 day detox to get a little head start. then i did some research and saw people that did it for like, a MONTH! crazy! (i would not do this) i found a whole bunch of recipes with things other than fruit or veggies juiced in, such as wheat germ, flax seed oil, protein powder, skim milk powder, things like that. so i was thinking about a week to really get myself going and get a great detox.

not to be rude or anything, i posted this topic because i wanted some good recipes and possible plans, not criticism. :/ i learned a ton about nutrition in my schooling, and i eat as healthy as possible. i would never deprive myself of nutrients that i really need for some "fad diet". a detox is healthy to do every so often, and a week is an appropriate time.
    I'm very very sorry if any of my comments came across critically, I didn't understand the full story like I do now! I'm so glad you shared more on protein powders, flax seed oil etc. etc. my interest is peaked!:wink:

Can't wait to hear how it goes as Marisol7649 shared, as it might be something I might want to learn more about as well and perhaps try at some point.

I'll see if I can come up with any recipes and share with you:flowerforyou:

I don't know if "Looking for juice fasting recipes" for the subject line might have avoided some of the negative comments or not? Sometimes the topic line is what grabs ppl's attention and that's all that's read before commenting.:frown:

Sorry for all the criticism you've dealt with and again I apologize if any of my comments came across that way. I honest didn't fully understand how much thought you've put into this and the work you'd put into finding recipes etc. to make it a healthy. .:blushing: :flowerforyou:

Wishing you well on your journey:drinker: <~~juice! :wink: :laugh:
  • fit4me33
    Options
    I too would be interested in this "juice fasting" if it works, but I would probably only try it for a few days..maybe the weekend when I have a tendancy to cheat. I am having a hard time losing these last 10 pounds, Ineed a reboot or something, but don't want to starve myself.
  • dianam1973
    Options
    6 carrots, 1 apple, 1 lemon and a small piece if fresh Ginger.......throw it all in your juicer and tadaaa....a great tasting juice!!!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I would lean more towards smoothies rather than juicing b/c most of the nutrients and all of the fiber are in the peel or bulk of the fruit that is lost while juicing.

One of my favs is mango, spinach and blueberries. As long as the blueberries are frozen the smoothie will be purple not green and honest, you cannot taste the spinach.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    i think juice fasting or feasting is amazing and would highly recommend it! you can actually go for months on juice alone. the first day or two of a juice fast can be hard on your body because of detox, or withdrawal symptoms. You can expect headaches, chills, nausea etc. if you feast on fresh juice meaning drink as much as you want you can still exercise and do whatever. i have done a few juice fasts and loved it. i have steady energy throughout the entire day and don't experience those afternoon lows that are so common in everyday diets. I will be starting a juice fast after the holidays just to flush out my system and to remind my body what good nutrition is like. Juice fasting is not a permanent weight loss solution. The first juice fast i did i lost 9lbs in a week! of course once i ate regular food again it came right back so expect to lose mostly water weight. also if you are doing an extended fast of more than a few days you will need to take some kind of stimulant garlic or a stimulant tea so your digestive system doesn't slow down too much. also when coming off a fast go slow drink a few smoothies at first or very soft fruit.
    i think juice fasting is a great tool. Once you fast for a few days it really help cleans your palate and junk foods wont taste as good or sit as well in your stomach.

some resources i've enjoyed
    http://juicerdetoxrecipes.com/
    http://www.juicefeasting.com/

Good luck, love to hear how it goes!
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What about bare naked juices? not good?