Tell me about Mud runs!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I'm thinking about doing on in September. It's only 2 miles. Do I get to shower afterwards or just "towel off" before I get in my car? What do I bring or wear? How hard are the obstacles? Any other tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Don't wear cotton, it will absorb water and get heavy. Are you on a team or going solo? I would suggest you read the info on the website Dirtinyourskirt.com. She has lots of great info.

http://dirtinyourskirt.com/gear-review/help-im-new-updated-the-gear/

I love MUD runs! I have completed 2 and I am doing 2 this month (Down and Dirty and Spartan).
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    In for this great advice. I would LOVE to do a Mud Run!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I love Warrior Dash! We typically bring garbage bags to cover the seats of the vehicle on the way home. I would def bring a change of shoes and socks.
    The course is challenging but not crazy difficult and if you don't feel like you are up to the obstacle, you can usually just go around it.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Love mud runs. I did the Tough Mudder earlier this year and am planning on doing the Rugged Maniac next month. If you can get a team together, it'll be more fun. Definitely bring a change of clothes, shoes, a snack for after and a beach towel. Sunscreen is also a good idea, as are a good pair of gloves.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Well, I emailed all my friends and NO ONE wants to go! Husband won't go so I asked my daughter who is 8. The minimum age is 6. She said she may go but HATES to get dirty and muddy! She wants to shower asap! UGH!

I can't win. :angry:

Thanks for all the great tips though!
  • RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You can still do it, I did my first 2 alone. I actually enjoyed it because I didn't have the pressure of keeping up with anyone. I could take the obstacles as slowly as I needed to without feeling pressured. In the end, I could say " I did it!" and I didn't have to have help either, lol.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I was signing up for a Tough Mudder in September...but now that my entire team has defected, I'm trying to decide if I want to run alone or aim for an easier run for my first one. Kind of a bummer-I was really excited about TM. I may try a warrior dash or something to start instead.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I did the Mud Hero on the weekend.
    I frickin LOVED every minute (well, maybe not the 1k up a ski hill haha) .. It was muddy, challenging and fun!

For this one, it was 6k and 16 obstacles.
    They had "showers" .. essentially a PVC pipe with holes in it. You get one stream of water. I mean, it was enough to rinse SOME mud off. I didn't bring a towel (duh moment).

I did have extra clothes and extra shoes to change into. I changed in the woods, porta-potties are not the best place to get dressed.. eek! haha

My knees are still purple, but it was worth it! Make sure you wear old clothes (I wore a bright yellow workout tank that will never be the same again - and my white socks were trashed). My shoes, I'll never get the mud out of them, so I left them there - they clean up as much as they can and donate the shoes. Oh, and tie those shoes TIGHT. There was one mud pit where I thought I'd lose a shoe haha

Don't focus on how dirty you'll be, focus on the fun part. I was with a crew of 6. The rest of them would hesitate before going at a mud obstacle. I was always the first one through. SO MUCH FUN!! I can't wait for next year!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Well, I emailed all my friends and NO ONE wants to go! Husband won't go so I asked my daughter who is 8. The minimum age is 6. She said she may go but HATES to get dirty and muddy! She wants to shower asap! UGH!

That really is a shame, I signed my daughter up for a few and she loved them. When her little friends at school would ask why in the world she'd get muddy and run for fun she just rolled her eyes at them. But she didn't feel that way until after we'd raced together.

Sorry all your friends and family hate fun. Do it on your own, you'll find great people there to run with. That's one of the things I really love, people at mud runs are friendly and helpful. In a street race everyone is an individual, they run, they leave. At a mud run it's like a big party where everyone helps each other and gets dirty together and starts drinking afterwards.

Damn how many more weeks until Dirty Dash? I need to get in mud.

And so much of this!!!

There was a girl by herself on an A-frame obstacle. She was frozen at the top, I'm pretty sure she was crying. We all coached her down. When she was done, I gave her a huge high-five and a way to go.

There are ALWAYS hands of strangers wanting to help you out of a mud pit. Everyone is so helpful!!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

That really is a shame, I signed my daughter up for a few and she loved them. When her little friends at school would ask why in the world she'd get muddy and run for fun she just rolled her eyes at them. But she didn't feel that way until after we'd raced together.

Sorry all your friends and family hate fun. Do it on your own, you'll find great people there to run with. That's one of the things I really love, people at mud runs are friendly and helpful. In a street race everyone is an individual, they run, they leave. At a mud run it's like a big party where everyone helps each other and gets dirty together and starts drinking afterwards.

three.

and OP, he's right. you don't have to be there with a group. the kinds of ppl who do mudruns are just awesome. you'll walk out with new friends and a new addiction. mudruns ROCK!
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    There is also a mud run just for women. It's called Dirty Girl. You can google them to see if they are in your area. I've been waiting forever to do one. I enjoy running sometimes on my own. Color runs, run or dye and things like that are a lot of fun. Everyone is super friendly. I did a half marathon and it was fun, but the people weren't really that nice.

I say do it on your own...be an strong, independent woman. They really are fun.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Hey, where you at?! We can go together! My whole team ditched for my first Tough Mudder :(
    I may be trying something shorter to start-in the fall maybe if I can find anything. If you're nearby and are looking for someone to go with, send me a message.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

three.

and OP, he's right. you don't have to be there with a group. the kinds of ppl who do mudruns are just awesome. you'll walk out with new friends and a new addiction. mudruns ROCK!

^Only person I know to survive a Run For Your Lives. Love you, Maab honey.

b/c zombies pity the fat chick. LOL and *MUAH!*
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Def do it by yourself! I just did my first Spartan Sprint and like you, I couldn't get anyone to do it with me! I did it by myself and felt so accomplished at the end. Like others have said, there will be people to help boost you up if you need it-everyone was super friendly and willing to help.

The point about the towel is super important-I was so nervous before the race I completely forgot about it. I had a change of clothes, but I had to use the clean shirt I had brought to towel off-luckily I got another shirt for completing the race that I could throw on!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing on in September. It's only 2 miles. Do I get to shower afterwards or just "towel off" before I get in my car? What do I bring or wear? How hard are the obstacles? Any other tips?

Thanks!

To give you my perspective - I've done two. First I did the Dirty Girl, which wasn't quite my cup of tea. I'm sure it's wonderful for some, but there wasn't a very competitive spirit to it and most people walked the whole 5k. The obstacles were not very challenging. I did the Tough Mudder last August as well, which was more my style. I would not do the Tough Mudder without a team (I couldn't hoist myself up 10+ feet to climb over stuff... there are plenty of people who are willing to help, but I was more comfortable having a team), but I would consider other mud events solo.

For the Tough Mudder, I wore the following:
    - Toe socks which were moisture wicking, etc. I definitely recommend some type of moisture wicking socks.
    - Salomon Speedcross shoes were REALLY, REALLY helpful. Lots of grips on the bottom and they don't hold water. This may depend on your race... for Dirty Girl, they wouldn't really be necessary. I thought they were very helpful for Tough Mudder. While others were struggling to run up muddy hills (and even sliding back down them), my team was able to just run up the middle of the muddy hills with no problems
    - I wore capri legging type pants which were again, good with wicking away moisture. i wore capris so I'd have some protection on my knees
    - Dry fit short sleeve shirt... again, once that gets wet it dries quickly and doesn't bog you down

Hope that helps!
  • Lisa1971
    Options

Hey, where you at?! We can go together! My whole team ditched for my first Tough Mudder :(
    I may be trying something shorter to start-in the fall maybe if I can find anything. If you're nearby and are looking for someone to go with, send me a message.

I'm in PA and the mud run is near Allentown. Where are you?
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    So I now have 5 more days until my mud run! EEEEEEK! I have a question about the difficulty of the obstacles. How hard are they? I don't have much upper body strength. What if I can't do the obstacles?????